Backups BROKEN!

Bruce Miller
Bruce Miller Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Two upgrades ago, the backup file worked for the first time in about a year! Then came the announcement that it had been fixed. That was followed by another upgrade a week or so later and it was BROKEN AGAIN!

At present, the Ctrl-B does not backup and complains that it cannot open the original file! It then acts as though it backs up, but it is not in the designated folder. Then, it claims it cannot reopen the original file automatically! Choosing it from the File tab works.

At present, a work-around is to use Copy or Backup under the file tab and choose Advanced Option: Create a copy or template. I have been on the phone with Support and this was their suggestion. Support also had me move the data file and backups to my C: drive — to no avail!

Since Quicken offers Dropbox space, it would seem that it would run and backup there! NOPE!

I have been using Quicken since 1988. My file is large! I have never had so many problems and such trouble backing up!

Please fix this problem! I would hate to lose my data!!!

Comments

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Is your data file located on a server? Copy and paste the path to your data file here.

• bkjgbfnasd
    bkjgbfnasd Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Updated Quicken Classic this morning to R57.25, and I'm also unable to backup.

F:\Quicken Backups\QDATA-2024.QDF-backup

This NVMe drive is attached to my motherboard. The issue is the update, not the drive location.

Please provide a rollback to the prior version.

Thank you!

• RogerMontemayor
    RogerMontemayor Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 5

I just updated to R57.25 and got the same error message (Unable to create file destination data file). I am running Windows 10, and I back up to an external local drive that I have backed up to many, many times. I also tried backing up to my local C: drive but got the same error message. I submitted an error report to Quicken.

UPDATE: I downloaded the R57.16 Mondo patch at https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.57.16MPatch.EXE and installed it, so I am back to R57.16 now. Backups are working on this version.

• RogerMontemayor
    RogerMontemayor Member ✭✭✭

I am running Quicken Classic Deluxe. I just updated to R57.25 and got the same error message (Unable to create file destination data file). I am running Windows 10, and I back up to an external local drive that I have backed up to many, many times. I also tried backing up to my local C: drive but got the same error message. I submitted an error report to Quicken.

UPDATE: I downloaded the R57.16 Mondo patch at https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.57.16MPatch.EXE and installed
    it, so I am back to R57.16 now. Backups are working on this version.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no problem creating backups using R57.16, running in Windows 10 Pro. I have successfully backed up to my C: drive, a thumb drive, and to One Drive, with no problem.

" ... Ctrl-B does not backup and complains that it cannot open the original file".

That sounds like the response you'd get if you are backing up to a location that is being automatically backed up by some other software, such as One Drive, or Dropbox.

When Quicken makes a backup, it briefly closes the .QDF file being backed up. If some auto-backup (or any) program grabs that closed .QDF file, Quicken cannot complete the backup.  

If that applies here, you need to alter your approach: either insure that there is no other software trying to access your Quicken file, or do not backup directly to Dropbox (or whatever). When backing up in Quicken, send the backup to your C: drive. Then you can use Windows to Copy that backup to any other drive or cloud account you want.

I have a fairly simple Windows script that runs automatically when Windows starts and copies my Quicken backup file from my C: drive to One Drive and Google Drive.

[NOTE: When you use the option to "Create a copy or template", the resulting file will have ALL accounts deactivated for downloading. Not a major problem as they can be re-Activated if the backup file is ever restored: just something to keep in mind.]

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ed V
    Ed V Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

R57.25 update - error message (Unable to create file destination data file). Same as the R57.12 update.

• Ed V
    Ed V Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

R57.12 backups didn't work, R57.16 HF1 fixed the backup problem.

R57.25 broke the backup once again.

FYI…

This discussion has been closed.