American Express Bank - need a code from American express everytime I update!

iusdcm1
iusdcm1 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I had to reauthorize American express bank the other day in order for the quicken update to work. Since that reauthorization, I have to get a code from Amex each time I run the quicken one step update. This is very cumbersome. What is going on? Thanks.

Comments

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Sme here. Reported to Quicken.

• RRFH
    RRFH Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Same here. I reported it.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been discussed at length in the past.
    For as long as American Express - Banking requires 2FA security codes when you access the account, you will need to enter a code every day during One Step Update.
    If all you have is a Savings Account which receives one transaction, the interest deposit, every month I recommend this workaround:
    During the month this bank is not selected to download during OSU. Only on or about the 28th (the day I receive my interest deposit, you day may vary) I select this bank in OSU Settings and perform a download. The day after I go back into OSU Settings and deselect this bank.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

This may be true, however for a number of us this just started in the last few days after several changes pushed by either Quicken, Amex or both. So I consider it a new issue.

• iusdcm1

I agree, this issue just started for me!!

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    edited July 1

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

While multi-factor authentication is typically controlled by the financial institution, due to the number of people reporting this behavior, I have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to be further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.  

(CTP-10318)  

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Its even stranger, folks. At least for me.

Cannot recall if it is CC or Savings, but one asks for digits from SMS to verify and one asks for me to tap yes or no in the phone app to confirm access. Well, the phone app asked me Saturday morning at 2:30 AM if II was trying to access - I was not, and then Saturday night at 10:30 PM the same - all times EST. I can only assume that Quicken is trying some connection behind the scenes and it is prompting the autentication. And I have no idea what happens then when it does not get it.

• iusdcm1

Wow, that’s kind of scary!

• tribbiani
    tribbiani Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

There is something we're not being told (by AMEX, IMO)… this SAME thing happened when AMEX switched their systems a while ago for regular credit cards. We were prompted for MFA every. time. for several weeks then it just miraculously stopped. Maybe the same will happen here.

BUT… keep in mind this is likely still being fixed. If you connect to "American Express", it will list all of your accounts (credit card and savings) but will not allow savings to connect. You have to use "American Express Banking" to get to the savings account. Looks like they're not yet done migrating systems. Best guess is when they do, the "American Express Banking" option will disappear and all accounts will work from "American Express". This looks like a botched release.

This is 100% unnecessary, BTW… just basic communication with users would keep this clear and understandable.

• Bru2th
    Bru2th Quicken Windows Subscription Member
    edited June 30

Having the same problem on Windows version ever since they updated quicken access. Only need 2 factor authentication on Quicken, not when going directly to AmEx web page.

[Merged Post]

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

I think its getting worse. Just did OSU, had to get a text to verify and entered. Appeared to work and now CC-506:

Obviously not closed - available on AMEX site and app, and cannot imagine what nickname could have been changed.

Is this a wait for them to correct or someaction recommended on a cc-506?

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tried resetting the Banking account?

• iusdcm1
    edited July 2

I have tried several times including today. It basically just gives an error.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I hate to make things worse and often have trying deactivates or resets.

• JerrBear
    JerrBear Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Having the same difficulty reported above — unable to complete the reauthorization for my personal savings account with American Express which reports that AmExp is "temporarily unavailable." This problem just started earlier in the week before July 1st with the requirement to "reauthorize" this account. I have NO difficulty going to the AmExp website and accessing this account directly. Anyone found a solution yet?

• GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I am continuing to get this request for every OSU. I do OSUs daily, and given the low activity for this savings account, I generally click “cancel” and the OSU continues for the other institutions.

Hopefully this annoyance gets fixed soon - the mobile attached to this account is my spouse’s, not mine.

The downloads do seem to work for me, once I supply the code.

• cassel
    cassel Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I'm getting the request with OSU but only for the accounts(savings & checking) using American Express - Banking. Another thing if I hit cancel OSU goes ahead and updates the American Express - Banking accounts. Seems like a Quicken problem maybe, but who knows with all the wonderful communication from either party.

• cassel
    cassel Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

The cancel method in my previous posts no longer works as of 7-24.

• Roger_B
    Roger_B Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭

And Amex Savings has completely turned off access to Quicken.

"At this time, American Express Savings does not allow sites like Quicken to log in on behalf of our customers. This protocol is in place to protect Savings customers’ personal information."

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/banking/online-savings/faq/mint-or-quicken/

• William
    William Member ✭✭

Me too, the same problem has to reauthorize American Express banking every time.

This discussion has been closed.