Move from Quicken using Parallels on old Mac to new Mac without using Parallels.

utahtea
utahtea Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I have been using Quicken for 28 years and LOVE it. I have been using it on my old 2014 MacBook Pro with Parallels on Windows 10 for the last ten years. the computer is to old to upgrade to Windows 11 and I'm using version R56.9 because I don't have enough space on the old computer to install the updates!

I just bought a new 2024 MacBook Air and would like to test drive "Quicken for Mac" version on the new computer and leave the old Parallel's version on the old MAC computer incase I don't like the Mac Version or moving all my 28 years of data has issues. I've seen people suggest using a free trial of Quicken to accomplish this. Is this possible? How do I move the free trial to my existing Quicken license if I decide I like Quicken for Mac. Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

If you have a Quicken subscription, that subscription is good for both Mac and Windows. So you don't need a trial version for the Mac - just log in to your account at Quicken.com and download Quicken Mac, install it on your Mac, then log in using the same credentials as you use on Quicken Windows and you're all set with the same subscription level you've been using.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

And, yes, your QWin installation on the old computer will continue to work, too. Just make sure to keep your data file on the old computer and to copy/paste it to your new computer. Then convert that copied (not the original) QWin file to QMac. That way you will still be able to use the original file on your old computer if you decide to do that.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

If you have a Quicken subscription, that subscription is good for both Mac and Windows. So you don't need a trial version for the Mac - just log in to your account at Quicken.com and download Quicken Mac, install it on your Mac, then log in using the same credentials as you use on Quicken Windows and you're all set with the same subscription level you've been using.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

And, yes, your QWin installation on the old computer will continue to work, too. Just make sure to keep your data file on the old computer and to copy/paste it to your new computer. Then convert that copied (not the original) QWin file to QMac. That way you will still be able to use the original file on your old computer if you decide to do that.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• smayer97
    smayer97 Quicken Mac Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If it matters to you, you might also consider switching from Parallels to VMWare Fusion, a top notch VM that is free for personal use, ever since v12 (now at v13.5).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• utahtea

Thank you Jon, Boatmaniac, & smayer97! All the information you gave was was very helpful and much appreciated!

• jeeper
    jeeper Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3

also - the Mac version is slightly different compared to the Windows version, and the conversion of the QDF file is not 100% -
    So - depending upon which features, reports, etc you happen to use on Windows, they may be different on the Mac version or not exist.

• utahtea

Thank you. That is why I want to keep both setups for now. I will diligently check to make sure what I want over the last 28 years is on the Mac version. I've read that there are pros and cons to both Quicken for Mac & Windows. I figured this was the BEST time to try it out for myself. I'm willing to pay to keep Parallel's if needed. There are other things I prefer on Windows vs Mac that Parallels has! (But there is no going all the way back to a Windows computer….I LOVE my MAC!) ;)

Just an update. I have been bombarded at home with other things that I needed to do and I'm just now getting around to getting Quicken MAC set up. Wish me LUCK!

This discussion has been closed.