Investing Activity report details don't agree with summary report

Marty Dopps
Marty Dopps Member ✭✭
edited August 6 in Reports (Windows)

I'm using Quicken Classic Premier (R57.16) When using the canned "Investing Activity" report many of the details from sub-categories do not agree with the summary report info. Example - a custom date report of Investing Activities for 1/1/2023 - 12/31/2023 tells me the lines for Beginning and Ending Values tie out perfectly to my Account Balances report. The next section in the canned report is for Deposits and Withdrawals, followed by Investing Income then Change in Market Value. When I double click on any of the line details it produces a subsidiary report (Transaction Details in this case) but the category totals in the subsidiary report do not tie out and agree with the main Investing Activities report. No amount of combining Transaction Detail amounts gets me close to the Investing Activities main report. Am I doing something wrong? For what it's worth, as a retired CPA from corporate finance I have a pretty good idea of how this should work, but it's just not doing what I'd expect it to. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at this briefly and it appears that the detailed report when you double click on Deposits or Withdrawals is not filtered correctly.

The detailed report includes dividends, interest, realized gains, and transfers between investing accounts. If I customize that report to exclude those Categories, the net amount matches the Net Deposits/Withdrawals shown in the Investing Activity report.

Also the Dividend Income section of the Investing Activity report includes long term capital gains distributions, which should probably have a separate line.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Marty Dopps
    Marty Dopps Member ✭✭

Jim, thanks for the insights here. Might I ask where this report customization is done? I've never done this before. Thanks.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

To customize a report, click on the gear at the top right. Click on the Categories tab to select the Categories to include in the report. To exclude transfers between accounts that are included in the report, select the Advanced tab and next to Transfers select Exclude internal.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.