Non-linked Accounts - Same Institution, Different Logins

MauryJ
MauryJ Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited August 8 in Investing (Mac)

I have 3 Fidelity accounts. they're all linked, as it shows in Quicken. In QW the user name and passwords were in the password vault. My wife's Fidelity account has a different user name and password, so it's not linked to my 3 fidelity accounts. It was also in the password vault. After migrating to Mac only my three accounts are updating, not hers

I tried to edit her account so I could fix whatever was wrong with the connection, but am stymied by the Fidelity logo with the "linked" logo (referring to my accounts only). I can't see a way to add a discrete Fidelity account without Quicken assuming it needs to be linked. I think using keychain vs password vault is the problem, but it's very frustrating not to be able to see our family finances in one set of dashboards! Otherwise, what's the point of Quicken?

Anyway, I thought of just changing her user name and password to mine so they will link, but I'm not sure what the tax consequences are in the reporting aspect of Quicken. Also, using Quicken for 27 years on Windows, it was very doable. I wouldn't go back - Windows UI in Quicken is too archaic, although Quicken doesn't seem to care as much about investing on the Mac platform as it seems like every update is about paying bills and budgeting - not a big deal for me. The Windows version does give you way more features for investing - real time quotes, Morningstar X-Ray, dozens of portfolio views plus customized views, more elaborate reporting, individual equity snapshots across accounts, etc.

Meanwhile, all Quicken support could come up with was create a new Quicken file for my wife. That solves no problems. And from what I can figure out, there's no way to export transaction history from Fidelity into Quicken as Mac can't import CSV. Any ideas out there???

Quicken Premier Mac Classic (since 2022), Quicken Premiere Windows (1995 - current, but not actively using since Mac conversion)

Best Answer

• MauryJ
    Answer ✓

Thanks RickO. This is less screwed up now, but at least I'm farther along! Before I get any farther, I think you misunderstood what I meant by Fidelity not supporting downloading transactions. I know it updates in Quicken, as my 3 accounts will attest for over 20 years up to today. What I meant was being able to go into Fidelity using a browse and downloading a QFX file. The only option it's giving me is CSV (I thought I mentioned this but I can see I wasn't clear). So, Quicken can't import CSV, and Fidelity is only offering CSV.

Back to setting up the account - I didn't want to create a new one - I already have one. I just needed to reconnect what I had. Now I have that working! Thanks for the encouragement - it's really appreciated! It's not working all the way yet, but at least it connects and I got 4 transactions out of it.

I think part of the problem editing the account in Quicken was it's been a while since I transitioned from Windows, so I didn't remember how all of my other accounts were reinitialized under Mac, but I don't remember having to set anything up. I thought it "just worked."

Her account just has been sitting there in the account list, but no transactions have been updated for quite a while. So when I tried to edit the acct. in Quicken, it asked me for her SSN or User Name. I used her SSN, and that got me nowhere. Not realizing that was the problem, I changed her password and still no luck. Also, it doesn't ask for a password, it asked for a PIN, which also threw me off (and didn't work, besides).

So I just tried editing her account again with username and new password and finally Quicken connected. Why that never made the transition I don't know. Now my only problem is the downloads. Quicken downloaded 4 missing transactions, the most recent being March of 2023, so I can't figure out why the others aren't coming down. I also have a lot of maintenance to do as her account didn't handle a merger well, and she has double shares which are skewing the $$$.

Quicken Premier Mac Classic (since 2022), Quicken Premiere Windows (1995 - current, but not actively using since Mac conversion)

Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I can't see a way to add a discrete Fidelity account without Quicken assuming it needs to be linked.

If you want to add an account without it being linked, add it as an offline account. If you're not connecting an account for downloads Quicken doesn't need to know where the account is held.

Sorry I can't help with the rest of it, I only have my own accounts.

• MauryJ

Thanks. that's an alternative I am considering, but I guess Fidelity no longer supports downloading transactions. Very frustrating

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I don't have any trouble with my Fidelity accounts but I only have one login & one account owner to deal with, not two.

• MauryJ

This is probably the best and most creative solution so far. I'm going to try to figure out how you do that. Might need to call Fidelity. That said, I can't see how to add another account with a different login. When I tried editing this account and chose Fidelity it just clones the login, even though in the Windows version this already had a second user name and login, and should have moved over during the migration. That would still be my preference because it's the cleanest solution, and I'm not sure exactly what privileges a link will provide in terms of transaction downloads. The only way to know if to try it.

• MauryJ
    Answer ✓

Thanks RickO. This is less screwed up now, but at least I'm farther along! Before I get any farther, I think you misunderstood what I meant by Fidelity not supporting downloading transactions. I know it updates in Quicken, as my 3 accounts will attest for over 20 years up to today. What I meant was being able to go into Fidelity using a browse and downloading a QFX file. The only option it's giving me is CSV (I thought I mentioned this but I can see I wasn't clear). So, Quicken can't import CSV, and Fidelity is only offering CSV.

Back to setting up the account - I didn't want to create a new one - I already have one. I just needed to reconnect what I had. Now I have that working! Thanks for the encouragement - it's really appreciated! It's not working all the way yet, but at least it connects and I got 4 transactions out of it.

I think part of the problem editing the account in Quicken was it's been a while since I transitioned from Windows, so I didn't remember how all of my other accounts were reinitialized under Mac, but I don't remember having to set anything up. I thought it "just worked."

Her account just has been sitting there in the account list, but no transactions have been updated for quite a while. So when I tried to edit the acct. in Quicken, it asked me for her SSN or User Name. I used her SSN, and that got me nowhere. Not realizing that was the problem, I changed her password and still no luck. Also, it doesn't ask for a password, it asked for a PIN, which also threw me off (and didn't work, besides).

So I just tried editing her account again with username and new password and finally Quicken connected. Why that never made the transition I don't know. Now my only problem is the downloads. Quicken downloaded 4 missing transactions, the most recent being March of 2023, so I can't figure out why the others aren't coming down. I also have a lot of maintenance to do as her account didn't handle a merger well, and she has double shares which are skewing the $$$.

• MauryJ
    edited July 7

Update. I closed Quicken and did another update and I got 3 more transactions. I then kept doing this cycle until I got all of them CMD-U, Accept All, CMD-U, Accept All, etc. and after about 4-5 of those I got all of the transactions into her account. I finished tweaking the one transaction that needed attention, and now everything agrees!

It would be nice if Quicken support knew the product better. It's better than it was under Intuit, but not as good as it was the first few years after the new owners took over. But 2 times on different topics I've got "you can't do that" when the reality was "I didn't know you could do that, and I have no clue how to do it." One was chat - that's always the worst, and one was over the phone

This discussion has been closed.