Express Web Connect with RBC Royal Bank (Canada) and Trusted Device MFA

Arctic Hare
Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone has been able to get Express Web Connect (i.e. One Step update) to work to download transactions from RBC Royal Bank of Canada with the Trusted Device multifactor authentication turned on and with the RBC mobile app used on the Trusted Device?

I am only able to successfully use Express Web Connect to download transactions from RBC Royal Bank when I switch the Trusted Device MFA to OFF in the RBC online banking site. When I have the Trusted Device MFA turned on, I get the following sequence:

• Initiate One Step Update
  • Receive a notification of login attempt via the RBC Mobile App on my Trusted Device
  • Immediately click on the attempted login notice and approve it in the RBC Mobile App on my Trusted Device
  • Mobile App tells me that the approval of the login timed out (and therefore wasn't approved), even though I approved the login attempt within seconds of it appearing.
  • Mobile App tells me that there was an unsuccessful login attempt on my account and requires me to indicate whether it was me who made that attempt
  • I confirm that I made the failed login in attempt
  • One Step Update completes but no transactions download
  • Rinse and Repeat with the same result - no transactions ever download.

If I switch the Trusted Device MFA to OFF from withing the RBC online banking site then I can successfully download transactions from RBC Royal Bank via One Step Update. In summary, it seems that with RBC Royal Bank and Quicken I can either (i) have MFA enabled for enhanced security; or (ii) be able to download transaction data using Express Web Connect and One Step Update; but, I can't have both simultaneously.

This discussion has been closed.