Quicken won't open after Editing Accounts

QwikOne
QwikOne Quicken Windows 2016 Member ✭✭

About three months ago I started using a new laptop with a new cloud account. I did something I found out later I shouldn't have. That was opening a saved file from the other PC. I understand Quicken Classic doesn't like that. Don't remember how I got the file to open on the new laptop but it did with one glaring problem. I now had two versions of the same checking account that now open in the accounts pane. However, the two accounts didn't contain the same data. One had data from when I began using Quicken (2018) up through when I began using the laptop the other had data from March of 2022 and was the only version of the two account versions that would update. Plus, the version that wouldn't update and had the oldest/original data had the red strike-through circle. Again, these two versions of the same checking account exist on the same laptop in the same instance of Quicken. Up to this moment, on the new laptop, all credit cards, the one checking account, a savings account and investment accounts were updating fine. Then I think I made a second mistake with Quicken.

I successfully updated all the accounts in Quicken this morning. I've been wanting to move the data from the checking account version that contained all the old/original data over to the other checking account version that updates correctly. I used "copy transactions" from the non-updating checking account version then "paste transactions" into the other checking account version. I was careful to ensure I only copied data from the older version with dates older than what is in the new version of the checking account. I did it increments rated that all data entries at once. No error messages. I checked and all transactions did copy over to the new checking account version that updates. So I had all transactions from 2018 to present. I then made a back-up to both the laptop and cloud, no error messages. Then exited Quicken, again, with no error messages. Here is the problem ............

Quicken will not open at all with the desktop icon. I tried to open it by double clicking on the backup files (on laptop and cloud). Quicken will not open that way either. Quicken will not open with any QDF file.

So ....any chance for recovery? Is it just an issue of Quicken corrupted coincidentally to my file editing? Is it a time for uninstall and reinstall of Quicken itself?

Comments

• QwikOne

UPDATE on this mystery.

I decided to restart Windows …….. the old trick when historically anything would go awry with Windows or Windows apps. You'd think running Win 11 Pro would have solved that type of issue. And maybe it really didn't. However, after the restart I had my auto-update dialog box come up asking if I wanted to update accounts. Said "yes" believing it wouldn't. Giving the Quicken accounts update sufficient time to complete I checked for Windows updates finding one minor non-critical update which I performed. Did another restart. Started a few apps. Then I tried Quicken thinking it wouldn't start. It did, and included all of the changes/edits I had performed before the non-start problem. I'm still concerned. I did not reinstall Quicken, just did the restarts. Have other run into this?

Still would appreciate any insight about the cause of this (magically fixed) problem.

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I come from an IT shop and, easily, 50% of user issues were resolved by simply restarting the system. And, it was a challenge keeping 2800+ workstations updated, but developers can only write software for the most current patched version of the OS. If a user's OS is out-of-date, then all bets are off. Maybe the application(s) will perform correctly and maybe they won't.

• QwikOne

Well, that must have been the case with me. Yes, it is an old "fix" in the Windows World.

This discussion has been closed.