Check box for manual reconciliation

exofriend
exofriend Member ✭✭
edited August 30 in Product Enhancements

When reconciling an account, it shows me account transactions up to the date specified for the end date of the statement.  Items that are in a “cleared” status after having been accepted via downloaded update are indicated with a green check mark.  However, if I’m reconciling against a paper statement, it can be difficult to check them one by one, especially if they appear in an order different from the statement.  

I am aware that I can check and uncheck the cleared or not cleared green check marks in the reconcile window. I don't want to use those because they represent whether the entry has or has not been matched with a downloaded transaction. With a paper copy of a statement I could use a pencil and mark off each transaction that matches one in Quicken. If I mark off everything on the statement, and something still doesn't reconcile, it’s difficult to do it the other way and mark off in Quicken each transaction that matches one on the statement. This is usually only an issue when I have multiple pages of charges in a period and something's not right.

If I'm reconciling an account, and I uncheck ALL the check marks so I can go through them manually, and one of the transactions that HAS been matched with a downloaded transaction DOES NOT appear on the statement for the period, once I'm done reconciling, I have to somehow remember which transactions were previously checked, and re-check them so they're cleared in the register like they're supposed to be. There really should be a distinction between "cleared" as it pertains to a matched downloaded transaction and "cleared" as it pertains to a transaction that Quicken, the statement, and I agree has been cleared. While that does sound like the point of the status "Reconciled", there is an interim step when whether or not a transaction has been reconciled is being determined. I want a check mark for that interim step.

I'd like another column next to the Clr column in the reconcile window where I can manually mark items without affecting the “cleared” status of matched transactions.

Quicken user since 1993

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated