What is the new method to track Morgan Stanley/Quicken/ETrade stock transactions?

Tango72
Tango72 Member ✭✭

Since Morgan Stanley/Quicken/Etrade no longer supports importing transactional data into Quicken Classic I'm curious how others are tracking this? I find it very annoying because tracking transactions is basically the whole point of using Quicken.

Is there another financial program that will support transactional tracking or is it back to spreadsheets?

Best Answer

• Todd
    Todd Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 3 Answer ✓

I have literally used Quicken since 1990 and this is by far the worst data feed mistake I've encountered. If we can't download transaction level data from Morgan Stanley or Etrade, I'm going to be forced to change brokers. [Removed - Rant/Disruptive] Will this be remedied soon or not? I have decades of data and am not about to be pulled back to the 20th century because Quicken and MS didn't understand how important transaction level data is to Quicken power users. Truly a sad oversight…

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1

I don't know anything about ETrade, but my Quicken Classic continues to download Morgan Stanley Wealth Management transactions as usual. What error are you getting, if any?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Tango72
    Tango72 Member ✭✭

I use E*Trade, which is now branded as E*Trade from Morgan Stanley. They moved my ETrade accounts to Morgan Stanley which resulted in a change in account numbers. After a recent Quicken update I got errors and the download failed. The recommended solution was to deactivate and re-activate the on-line connection.

When reestablishing the on-line service the only option was a 'Simple' connection using Express Web Connect.

There is no error message, just this is the message that Quicken E*Trade does not support tracking transactions in Quicken.

• Rocket J Squirrel

I would move my holdings. Your ETrade rep ought to be able to move them to regular Morgan Stanley, which does support transaction download via Direct Connect.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel

Oh, but wait. Morgan Stanley does charge (fairly small) commissions, which you may not like. There are also some transactions you can't make online, like buying bonds and CDs. They're so old school you have to speak with a rep via voice call.

But any brokerage will be happy to pull your assets out of ETrade. Fidelity works fine fo me, for example.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    edited September 1

Hello @Tango72,

What you describe sounds like it's related to the known issue connecting with Quicken E*Trade.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

To see the option for Direct connect, when you select the financial institution, make sure to click advanced options rather than Next.

From there, click Continue to get past the information screen, then make sure to select Direct Connect, click Next, and follow the prompts.

Thank you!

(Ticket #11254889/CTP-10875)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Todd
    Todd Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 3 Answer ✓

I have literally used Quicken since 1990 and this is by far the worst data feed mistake I've encountered. If we can't download transaction level data from Morgan Stanley or Etrade, I'm going to be forced to change brokers. [Removed - Rant/Disruptive] Will this be remedied soon or not? I have decades of data and am not about to be pulled back to the 20th century because Quicken and MS didn't understand how important transaction level data is to Quicken power users. Truly a sad oversight…

• Tango72
    Tango72 Member ✭✭

@Quicken Kristina thank you for the instructions. I was able to connect to ETrade and with a little work recover my historical data.

Unfortunately Direct Connect is only retrieving data from one ETrade account, but I can handle that account manually.

Thanks again for getting me in the right direction.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Thank you for the follow-up,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get one account connected.

There are a few things that can cause Quicken to not "see" an account when you're trying to add accounts. If you wish to troubleshoot the issue further, please answer these questions:

• Has there been any activity in the account in the last 90 days?
    • Is the account considered an external account (i.e. are you redirected to a different website when selecting the account on the financial institution's website)? If so, what URL are you redirected to?
    • Is the account a subtype of a different account?
    • Has the financial institution made any recent changes to its website or sign-in process?
    • Are you the owner of the account?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.