lost credit card payments

I have a Citi credit card account that I pay every month using autopay from my credit union. I've been doing it this way since I opened the credit card account about 5 years ago. Recently I noticed my credit card balance in Quicken was $40,000+ when it should have been $1000 or so. I couldn't see the problem right away so I went on with updating my other accounts.

Looking at it last weekend, it appears that 5 years of monthly transfers from my credit union account to the credit card just vanished in Quicken, in both the from and to accounts. I tried calling the support number and was disappointed to be told that after a few years it is expected that some data will be lost. I've been using Quicken for a very long time (33 years) and have never lost any data in Quicken.

I "validated" the Quicken file and did not detect any problems.

Is there a solution to these lost transactions? I could go to a backup from a few months ago but then I would have to re-do a lot of work like transaction updates, reconciliation, etc.

I had another problem with one step update of a JPMorgan brokerage account. The tech support rep said it was a problem with the bank, not quicken. When I call the bank they tell me that they can't help with Quicken problems.

If this is a known problem with Quicken is there a plan to fix it? The explanation that sometimes data just goes away doesn't seem reasonable.

It's nice that Quicken offers free telephone tech support but it seems like I got what I paid for

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the payments come out of your bank account? Is your bank account right? The category on the payment must have got deleted or changed. What is the category on the payments in your checking account? You just need to fix that. The payments should be a Transfer to the Citi credit card. You indicate a transfer by typing the credit card account in the category with square brackets around it like [Citi cc]

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.