Reconcile: Online Balance is Incorrect

DDub
DDub Member ✭✭✭

/I am trying to reconcile a checking account with Virginia Credit Union and cannot because the Online Balance is incorrect.

In the Reconcile Online Account dialog (where you can choose to use the Paper Statement or Online Balance), all three fields (Prior balance, ending balance, and online balance) are set to the same value. This is incorrect. Looking at this account on the bank's website, the the current "Online Balance" is very different than the "Ending Statement Balance."

Is this an issue I can reset on my end or is this a programming issue?

I also notice that the dialog shows Use Online Balance > Balance as of 9/21/2023: $XXXXX -- today is 9/20/24. Date on my laptop shows 9/20/24.

Background: Just prior to trying to reconcile, I did a complete One Step Update, so the data is up to date. I have also exited and relaunched Quicken.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @DDub,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Is it affecting just one account, or multiple accounts (and if it is affecting multiple accounts, are they all with the same financial institution)? Do you typically reconcile using the online balance or the paper statement option? Does the account register show the correct Online Balance, or does it agree with what you see in the Reconcile window?

If you haven't done so already, I recommend that you backup your Quicken file and try deactivating/reactivating the problem account.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DDub
    DDub Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 22
    1. The reconcile process was working perfectly when I did it on Thursday 9/19 and earlier in the week. It was not working properly on Friday 9/20.
    2. The problem impacts only one account in total, and only one of eight accounts for this institution.
    3. I typically reconcile using the online balance, as I was doing this time. However, the one difference was that this time the box did not display where I can choose whether to use the statement or the online balance. I typically do see that dialog box. I had to go into the Account Details » Online Services and uncheck the "Reconcile with online balance" option to get this dialogue box to display. This is when I noticed the issues with the account balances in the Reconcile Online Account dialog.
    4. The account register shows the exact balance that is shown in the bank account.
    5. The only problem is with the Reconcile Online Account dialog where all three fields (Prior balance, ending balance, and online balance) are set to the balance the account was at when it was last reconciled. Obviously, this means that the account won't reconcile properly. (NOTE: There were no pending transactions which might have impacted the balance.)

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

From what you describe, it sounds like you may have selected the "Always use Online Balance for this account. Don't ask me again." option during a previous reconcile.

Does the Online Balance reflect correctly in the actual reconcile window, when you get past that initial dialogue, or is it also incorrect there?

You also mentioned that the reconcile was working perfectly on Thursday; was that while reconciling the same account that you're having issues with now, or a different one? If it was the same account, did you get the dialogue giving you the choice between Paper Statement or Online Balance?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.