STILL American Express Banking not connecting - CC-502 (QWIN)

The original thread on this topic:

… was closed, I suppose on Dept 12 when I received this note in email:

Quicken Anja just added a comment in Alerts, Online Banking & Known Product Issues: RESOLVED 9/12/24 American Express-Banking - "We're sorry"/FDP-102/CC-502/FDP-106/CC-506

RESOLVED 9/12/24 This issue has been marked as resolved. However, this Alert will remain available for those who may still be experiencing this. Thank you!

I just returned from 3 weeks away, and when I tried to download my AMEX transactions (I had 1 of my two accounts connected successfully, as noted in the long thread above), no transactions were downloading. A reset did nothing, so I deactivated the downloads, deleted the bank name/account # from the account, and tried to reconnect to American Express Banking (note web connect).

I did this yesterday and hit the CC502. Tried again just now and the same thing happened. This does NOT appear to be fixed!

Quicken - help…!

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @Rx,

If you are still experiencing this issue after the Alert was marked resolved, then you will need to contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance and possible escalation if they see fit.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ThatOneGuy
    ThatOneGuy Member ✭✭
    edited September 30

Quicken's resolution is to tell you that you can't connect American Express bank anymore because of this:

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/banking/online-savings/faq/mint-or-quicken/

Frustrating as it's been working fine for years for me but apparently 7/1/24 was the cut-off from American Express's side?

It's also great that 'official' threads and notices on the topic are locked / deleted. if you click any notifications or links to those posts. you simply "don't have permission to do that"

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

Well I called Quicken Support just now. Spent a total of 33 minutes on the phone, more than 20 of that was on hold. I spoke with Joe. He had me share my screen and verified that downloads were off for my 2 AMEX bank accounts. He had me try using American Express (not banking), but that told me it could no access my accounts. So we tried AMEX Banking, and hit the CC-502 again. I was put back on hold, and after several minutes was told that the connection is down, and their IT department is working to restore it. Try again tomorrow.

As I understand things, it was not so much a cut off as cut over, to the point where downloading a QFX file manually does not get transactions anymore!

Sigh… this has been going on for months.

• ThatOneGuy
    ThatOneGuy Member ✭✭

yeah, after almost an hour with support they gave me that link I posted above and said American Express blocked 3rd parties. you will have to do manual downloads. As others have mentioned…. what's the point of quicken if I have to download everything manually. Looking for a new bank that is compatible.

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

It does not make sense that AMEX is blocking Quicken. It was (sorta') working for me for a while in August. And then Quicken declared it All Fixed. Except it ain't! I have kept trying, especially when new Quicken updates roll out. Still a CC-502. I do not believe that AMEX's servers are offline this whole time. I do believe that Quicken has not really fixed the problem.

How bad is it when the software you use necessitates that you change to a different bank because the software does not properly support that bank anymore? 🙄

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

… I stand corrected. I read the link on the AMEX site. Why are Quicken people like @Quicken Anja telling people like me to visit support if AMEX is locking them out? Why did support keep me on the phone for 30 minutes just to conclude that the AMEX servers were down and I should keep trying?

The AMEX link says to manually download the transactions. So I tried that again. Why does Quicken throw an error dialog saying "Quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution information for this download. Please try again later" if manual downloads are the only way to go?? And finally, WHY are we being left, caught in between, with no viable solution from Quicken?

• Risa Olsen
    Risa Olsen Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I called Quicken Support because when I downloaded from Amex Savings Bank via Quicken, I got the same interest payment for 4 account which is really the interest for one of the accounts. They had me deactivate the accounts and re-activate. Nothing downloaded after. Quicken then suggested I call Amex (of course…)

Amex told me that I need to use Google Chrome as my browser, not Microsoft Edge. Never heard that before. And explained that they are not supporting third party apps. Have to go to their website and manually download.

But…after trying that, it still failed to download. This leaves me with entering transactions manually. Not a good solution!

Any suggestions??

• Roger Starr
    Roger Starr Member ✭✭✭

I've been using Quicken since the DOS days and have lived through a lot of OSU sync issues, lots of bugs that took months to fix and some that have never been fixed (manual bills that occur once that get double counted in the budgeting module). This ongoing issue of Amex Savings sync works, then it doesn't, does again for a while and then doesn't is unacceptable. My last successful sync with Amex - Banking was on 9/6/2024.

We have very few monthly transactions in the Amex account and I would just download the transactions and import them into Quicken except that Quicken refuses to do that.

I'm toying with the idea of moving our savings account from Amex to Capital One since we have a credit card there and they are paying the same interest rate as Amex. I'm terrified to make the switch only to find out that Quicken has issues there too. I'd rather leave Quicken, but been using it for so long that I can do it in my sleep and don't want to have to learn new software.

Come on Quicken - seriously? You can't give us a viable solution to this ongoing saga?