Tracking TFSA Anual Contributions in Canada

Lynnn
Lynnn Member ✭✭
edited September 25 in All Things Canadian (Mac)

I am using the TFSA account type in Quicken Classic Deluxe for Mac to track my TFSA annual contributions. In order to get a report showing the contributions I have made since 2009. All my contributions have been cash so they are easy to track. When I enter a new contribution I use the Payment/Deposit Type option & select the category I created called "TFSA Contributions". Then generate a Category Report this works fine for cash contributions.

For the upcoming 2025 contribution I would like to transfer a security from an other investment account to my TFSA account to cover this amount instead of making a cash contribution.

However I can’t seem to find a way to repot the share transfer so it shows in my report as the Transfer Shares option does not have a category field. The TFSA registry enter shows the transfer and a Investment Amount, but so far I can’t find a report that will show the Investment/Amount.

Any help would bee greatly appreciated

Thank you

Lynn

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Hi, Lynnn:

I don't know of a way of doing this with categories. As you found out, you can't append one to a transfer transaction for securities.

This might be a job better suited for tags, as those add a third dimension to categories. Apple a tag, (such as "TFSA Contribution") to all your cash contributions, and also to your Security transfer. (You can add tags to those transactions.) You can batch edit multiple transactions to add the Tag in a single step. Ask if you are unfamiliar as to how.

Then, create a Tag report looking for your specific tag, and you should see all your contributions, no matter the category.

• Lynnn
    Lynnn Member ✭✭

Thanks John_in_NC for the tag report suggestion. It will find the Transfer Shares & Add shares transactions, as well as the transactions in the TFSA Contribution category.

However the Transfer Shares & Add shares transactions in the report show as $0.00 dollar amount. The account register has an optional view column choice called Investment Amt. In the TFSA account register the Investment Amt column shows the dollar amount of Transfer Shares & Add shares transactions, but I can't find a way to include the values of the Investment Amt column in my report.

• John_in_NC

Sorry for the delay, Lynn.

The only way I see to calculate the Invested Amount like you want is to go into the Transaction view of that TFSA investment account. Then, choose File:Export:Export Register Transactions to CSV. Then, open that file in a spreadsheet and you can sum the Invested amount category.

You can use filtering (such as by the tag, etc.) before you export to narrow down the data you actually export.

I know this isn't the best solution, but it will give you your number.

• Lynnn
    Lynnn Member ✭✭

Thanks John_in_NC

I will give the export to a CSV file suggestion a try.

I wonder if Quicken will see this and make it so this type of transaction will be possible in the future?

Cheers

Lynn

• John_in_NC

Would the values such as the Cost Basis in the Portfolio view work for you? Don't forget about those metrics available as well.

• Lynnn
    Lynnn Member ✭✭

Thanks for the input John_in_NC

I will play around with the Cost Basis thing and your other suggestions. I do appreciate your ideas.

I am leaning toward the spreadsheet idea as the Government controls the maximum amount you can contribute each year. In my case I contribute the maximum amount allowed once a year so I'm only looking at one entry per year.

Thanks again John_in_NC

Cheers

Lynn