Archiving files

Multiple problems with accounts unable to download transactions from Schwab and frequent crashes. One of the support people said my file is to big. It is about 2o years ago. What is best way to make toh file shorter (e.g. just last 4-5 years) but still have access to the older data?

Tagged:

Answers

• crwalejr
    crwalejr Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Do you add documents to transactions? If so, this can increase the file size a lot.

My file got too big. It took some work but here is what I did. I did a backup and saved it to a cloud account I use for saving files. I then did a screenshot of all of my account balances so that I know that I did everything correctly after changing the data. I then got my balance for each account for the date I wanted to change each account as the new start date.

I then began deleting data from each account before my new start date. You have to be careful with account transfers and also investments as you are deleting data. Just make sure when you have deleted the data for each account that the beginning balances and ending balances match what you wrote down/screenshotted before you began this process.

Someone else may have an easier way but I couldn't find one.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭

You can create a "year end archive" or a "copy/template". Look under "File/Copy or Backup File".

Make sure you read the user guide regarding the use and differences in these two methods. Pay particular attention to the limitations.

Make sure you BACKUP your existing qdata file (make several) before you attempt either one so you can roll back if it doesn't work for you.

Note that whatever method you use, you end up splitting your history across more than 1 data file. While you can open the "archive" to review, search even report, you can only do it with 1 data file at a time. So if your active (opened) file has the last 4 years of data, you can't search or report anything prior to that. You'll need to close it, then open the "archive" file which won't have the newer transactions.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Support uses that excuse when they don’t know the fix. There are many users here who have files with data dating back 20 years or more who do not have issues. There are also multiple reports where users took Support’s advice and trimmed down their data only to have the same issues come back.

Trimming the data would be a last resort after exhausting all other methods of addressing the issues. What other steps have you taken to fix the transaction downloading and crashing issues?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭

I guess I should have started with "How big is it?"

My current Quicken file goes back to 2001 and is about 85MB in size. I use Quicken Classic. I don't do real estate, run a business, manage properties or use any of the other "add-ons". I don't add attachments.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree the support folks offer “too big” too often without real justification. My Quicken file shows in Windows as 212 MB; in Quicken as 130MB. (What Windows sees is really a zip-file compression of several files that Quicken uses for your data. So apples-to-apples comparisons are important.). My data dates back to 1990. I have no ongoing issues.

That said, if you have had and continue having crashes, there would seem to be a good chance your file is irreparably damaged. But if that is the case, simply deleting old transactions is unlikely to repair or alleviate those problems.

I would not bother with the @crwalejr procedure. The steps suggested by @nmestanas may be sufficient. It also may be necessary to start over from scratch using the old file without online connections only for reference when needed. You may be able to transfer selected accounts or portions of accounts using QIF file export / import processes, but those processes can be tricky and time consuming.

• ajcamma
    ajcamma Member ✭✭

Crashes had stopped but then with the most recent Update (58.14) they started over again. Went back to the previous update (ver 56.9) and the crashes stopped. After many hours with support and elevating the problem to the Escalation Team they suggested just leaving old version on. Obviously they don't have any idea what is going on!

The problem with downloading transactions from Schwab continues as it has for 9 months now. Many, many hours spent with Support and again they obviously don't have any idea how to fix it -other than say it's Schwab's fault!!

Support certainly went down after Intuit sold the program to a Private Equity Firm. I've used quicken since the 1990's withou problems until that sale.