How can I manually amend the ACB of a stock? (Quicken for Windows, Canada)

JdS67
JdS67 Quicken Canada Subscription Member

Entering the spinoff transaction for TRP/SOBO using the built-in transaction gives me the correct number of shares but the ACB's for both are incorrect. SOBO takes the closing price of the day, TRP adds the (number of shares x closing price) to the existing cost, giving me an ACB almost twice what it should be. The advice from the company website is that 91% of the original ACB should be allocated to TRP and 9% to SOBO, adding up to 100%. How can I adjust the total cost of TRP by -9%?

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello @JdS67,

To assist with this, please provide more information. Is this a transaction that you entered into the register manually, or did it download from the financial institution?

If it downloaded, you may want to check for placeholders, since that may give you an option to input a cost basis.

If this is a manual transaction, then the process described in this earlier post may help:

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓

Hello @JdS67,

To assist with this, please provide more information. Is this a transaction that you entered into the register manually, or did it download from the financial institution?

If it downloaded, you may want to check for placeholders, since that may give you an option to input a cost basis.

If this is a manual transaction, then the process described in this earlier post may help:

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• JdS67
    JdS67 Quicken Canada Subscription Member
    edited October 13

The RtrnCap transaction works perfectly! As it is a reduction in the ACB, I entered a positive value (equal to the 9% of original ACB that was transferred to the spinoff). I noticed that if I left the Transfer To account blank, the cash balance was increased by the same amount the ACB was reduced, but by putting the same account in the Transfer To field, there was no cash movement and I came out with corrected ACB.

Perfect solution for me! (This was a manual entry, not a download from the brokerage)

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for the follow-up,

I'm glad to hear the RtrnCap transaction allowed you to document the adjusted cost basis!

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina