Sale of security shows as an expense in Income/Expense Report

billflyer
billflyer Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Two recent sales in my brokerage account (Schwab security SNOXX) show up in my Income/Expense Report as Uncategorized Expenses for $0.00 (zero dollars). Technically, this is correct. But they should not appear at all. There was no expense to me in these transactions. Any thoughts?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If an investment account is included in the in the Income and Expense by Category report, Sold transactions where the realized gain is zero (typically money market funds) appear as Uncategorized with a zero amount. When you click on the Uncategorized amount in the report, you will see the Sold transactions. As far as I know, this has been the case for many years.

As you note, they rightly do not affect the totals, but I agree that this is confusing and I would call it a bug.

If you don't have any other Uncategorized transactions in the report, you can work around this by clicking on the gear to customize the report and on the Categories tab, un-check Uncategorized. Another way to eliminate these transactions form the report is on the Advanced tab, next to Amounts, select "not equal to" and 0.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓

If an investment account is included in the in the Income and Expense by Category report, Sold transactions where the realized gain is zero (typically money market funds) appear as Uncategorized with a zero amount. When you click on the Uncategorized amount in the report, you will see the Sold transactions. As far as I know, this has been the case for many years.

As you note, they rightly do not affect the totals, but I agree that this is confusing and I would call it a bug.

If you don't have any other Uncategorized transactions in the report, you can work around this by clicking on the gear to customize the report and on the Categories tab, un-check Uncategorized. Another way to eliminate these transactions form the report is on the Advanced tab, next to Amounts, select "not equal to" and 0.

• billflyer

Thanks very much. When I choose Amounts not equal to zero, it screws up the Transfers section of the report. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

It may seem nit-picky to some, but bugs like this drive me crazy. If this is a known issue "for many years," why has it not been addressed? Shouldn't our subscription fee include fixes for things like this?

• Jim_Harman

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

The more reports they receive, the more likely it is that that they will prioritize and address the issue.

• billflyer

Thanks, Jim. I may do that.