Open Quicken file read only

pls'
pls' Member ✭✭
edited October 21 in Product Enhancements

This has been suggested before. I'm repeating it because the idea didn't get serious consideration last time.

I have a couple of Quicken file saved for historical reasons. I occasionally open one to look up a transaction. Every time I do this, Quicken updates the file with new reminders and transactions. This reduces the file's value as a valid history.

I'd like to see an new entry on the Quicken File menu "Open Quicken File Read Only…". Using this should guarantee that the file will not be changed in any way. It would be necessary that this entry would work with a Quicken file that is set to Read Only in the file system or where the file system permissions do not allow writing.

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

May I suggest that, until the gods at Quicken do something in that direction, you do the following:

Next time you open one of these historical files

• delete all past due reminders that haven't been turned into register transactions yet (this and all future instances)
    • delete all new transactions generated from auto-entered reminders
    • delete all scheduled reminders from the Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders list
    • review all registers and delete anything you do not wish to have in this file
    • when done with the above set a Transaction Password (File / Set password to modify transactions) on this data file, to prevent any user or Quicken from making changes to the old transactions or adding new ones.

Next time you open the file, no changes should occur. If you missed something, you will get prompted for the transaction password. To not make the transaction change select Cancel (do not enter the password). Repeat if this occurs more than once until the file has opened completely.

Do write down which historical data file is now protected by a Transaction Password and, of course, what the password is.