I have old (2000-2007) Ouicken QDF files. I have Quicken 2004 running in a VM. Quicken 2004 won't accept my password. How do I force my way in?
@Wade Younie if the QDF file is password-protected and you do not know the password; there is unfortunately no supported way to bypass or "force" access to the data file.
A few things you can try:
If you've forgotten the password and no unprotected backup exists, Quicken does not provide a password recovery or password bypass utility for older QDF files.
Also, are you receiving an "invalid password" message immediately when opening the file, or is Quicken 2004 rejecting the password after the file opens? That distinction may help determine whether this is a file password issue or a problem with the VM/Quicken 2004 installation itself.
Error Message: "Sorry, the password you entered does not match the stored password…." I used the same password for years, so I think I know what it is
@Wade Younie the message "Sorry, the password you entered does not match the stored password..." does not sound like a standard Quicken error message or a CC-503 error. It may be coming from the virtual machine, Windows, or another component rather than Quicken itself.
My QDF file was stored on OneDrive and touched by Windows 10/11. This might corrupt the header block, not the password itself.
Quicken 2004 is trying to read the header, but I think the VM/XP layers are blocking me.
This may be why the error doesn’t look like Quicken’s own password dialog.
@Wade Younie the fact that the file was stored on OneDrive over the years does raise the possibility of file corruption, but I don't think we have enough evidence yet to conclude that the header block is damaged or that the VM/XP environment is blocking access.
It's certainly possible that the issue is something other than an incorrect password, but at this point that's only a hypothesis.