FAQ: How do I save the sort order (or set the default) in the reconcile window?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in FAQ'S (Windows)
In QW2012 Deluxe R4 (21.1.4.22), when I go to reconcile an account, the transactions are sorted by date in reverse order, with the most current on top. This doesn't make sense to me, but whatever - I can change the order by clicking on the date heading and it resorts correctly.

But, the next time I reconcile an account, or even the same account, the reconcile window sorts in reverse date order again, with the most current on top.

Additional information:
The transactions are sorted correctly in the registers, with the most current on the bottom. They are only reversed in the reconcile windows.

Is there a way to set or save the sort order in the reconcile window in Quicken 2012?

Anybody else have this problem?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    It appears that the problem is caused by a line in the quicken.ini file in the Reconcile section which after the problem occurs appears as:

[Reconcile]
    Instruct=1
    Sorting=-1

When I went back to the file just after install, the "Sorting=-1" line was not there.  So after backing up everything, I removed the "Sorting=-1" line and everything is fine.

I THINK that the problem was caused by clicking on one of the other column headers in the Reconcile window.   So I won't do that again, and will monitor the situation.  But at least I have a way around the problem now!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

Thank you SO much.  This was driving me nuts!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

I have the same problem with te same version, Quicken 2012 Deluxe R4 (21.1.4.22) but the Quicken.ini file only has the Quicken Version and Platform data.  Any ideas.  Quicken support tells me there is no way to change the sort order, but I can't believe that.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    There are 2 quicken.ini files.  On Vista, one is in the

C:Windows

directory and has 8 lines in it, and the other is:

C:ProgramDataIntuitQuickenConfigQuicken.ini

which is also referenced by the user path

"C:UsersAll UsersIntuitQuickenConfigQuicken.ini".

It is this 2nd quicken.ini file that needs to be backed up and then edited, and mine has around 97 lines.

If you are using a different version of Windows and can't find the larger Quicken.ini file, reply with the version of Windows and somebody will chime in and let you know if it is in a different location when using other versions of Windows.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

Got it .  Thanks.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I have the same problem with the reminder list - it sorts if differently that I believe it should.  I believe it should show the reminder date closest to the current date, not the date the is furtherest in the future.  Quicken needs to allow its customers to set that as a preference, not force them to click the header each time they pull up list.  This version of
    Quicken is the buggiest version I have seen them produce.  I may have to switch vendors if this continues.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

I finally found this - great!  I changed the .ini file removing the "sorting=-1" and the Reconcile windows is working properly.  Thanks so much for you past post!
    gumboman

• Jack Mathis
    Jack Mathis Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

I changed the .ini file and instead of removing the line, I changed the "sorting=0" and works great. Thank you for the tip, it was making me check off the wrong enteries.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

My computer does not have a ini file for Quicken 2012.  Now what do i do?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    gsopp Quicken wouldn't run without the Quicken.ini file.  Most likely the folder you are looking for is hidden (which is the default for system folders).
    For Windows 7, go to start menu and in the Search enter this:
    C:ProgramDataIntuitQuickenConfig

For Windows XP, go to start menu and in the Run enter this:
    C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataIntuitQuickenConfig

These will open the right folder with Quicken.ini in it.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It is probably a hidden file. Windows likes to hide those from you. Make sure you have set your search to include hidden files. If that does not work, post back with your OS and someone can provide specific path info.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Chris you are too fast!

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

It is probably a hidden file. Windows likes to hide those from you. Make sure you have set your search to include hidden files. If that does not work, post back with your OS and someone can provide specific path info.

Problem solved

I had to find the ini file buried in XP under users, application data, intuit ,quicken, under reconcile instruction = 1.  I changed to 0 and it now shows earliest to latest.

Thanks everyone for your input.
This discussion has been closed.