How do I delete a security downloaded from a financial institution?

winezor
winezor Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)

Quicken for Mac 2015 continues to show a stock in my portfolio view that was sold.  In transaction view it shows the sell transaction, but it still shows up in my portfolio view, adding the daily fluctuations of that stock to my portfolio value.  When I go to my financial institution site, it clearly shows the sell and does not list the stock as one that I now hold.  All I did was an update (in the Mac version, it automatically accepts security transactions), and I now can't delete this stock from the Portfolio. (Quicken Help says you cannot delete a stock that was downloaded from a financial institution, only if it was  manually entered.)  

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    We'll have to wait for one of the expert Mac users to come by and provide a proper answer ...
    Unless the download was totally in error, you don't want to _delete_ transactions relating to a security you bought and sold, just so it doesn't show.
    Views and reports in Quicken for Windows (which I'm more familiar with) always have an option where you can select if this view or report should show (or not) "closed lots". A "closed lot" refers to a security where you're currently not holding any shares any more. Look for such a customizable option in Quicken Mac.
    If you haven't done so already, please review these videos for more information about Quicken Mac 2015 https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac/videos
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Open your account in Transactions View.
    Include the Share Balance column in the register.
    Filter the register for the security in question - enter security name in Search field - upper right.
    What does the Share Balance column show for the final sell transaction - Is it "0.0", "-0", something else?
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• winezor
    winezor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hmmm, It is showing a balance of 500 shares when there should be 0.  There is now another transaction listed for 1/04/15 (greyed out) that says: Add Shares / (name of Security) / +500 shares (to reach 500 on 9/30/15)(add cost).  The "add cost" is a link.  When I click on it, it states "You have shares missing cost and acquisition date (cost basis).  This is likely because you had older transactions which Quicken was unable to download from (brokerage)Mac (available downloaded history can range from 30 days to a year or more depending on brokerage).  It then shows Shares reported by Brokerage (500), Shares tracked in Quicken (0), Shares unaccounted for (500).  Below is the option to add transactions that occurred before 1/4/2015...  I was able to edit the entries from there to show the current correct number of shares.  Thanks for your help!
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The greyed out transaction was a Placeholder. If you encounter this again on other securities, just delete the Placeholder and you should be ok from there on.
    Glad to hear you got things straightened out.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• winezor
    winezor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ah, that probably would have been easier... not exactly sure what I did to tell you the truth, but when it suddenly reflected the correct shares and balance, I figured I'd leave it at that!  Thanks again for your help!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    JM said:

The greyed out transaction was a Placeholder. If you encounter this again on other securities, just delete the Placeholder and you should be ok from there on.
    Glad to hear you got things straightened out.

Perfect fix all cleared up now.
This discussion has been closed.