Why do the number of "auto" backups exceed the setting for maximum number defined

I have maximum number of backups to keep set at 5.  Quicken 2012 does not delete the oldest backup once the amount of backups reaches 5; rather, it just keeps adding to the list.  It doesn't appear that it will ever delete an old backup.  It would just fill the drive until it was full.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The 5 refers to automatic backups.  There are 2 kinds of backups.  In addition to any manual backups you make, Quicken makes an automatic backup after so many times. Quicken makes all automatic backups to a folder named "BACKUP" in the same folder where your Quicken data resides.  Also if you have the backup add the date to the file name it will never overwrite the older backups.  So you will get more and more.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    volvogirl said:

The 5 refers to automatic backups.  There are 2 kinds of backups.  In addition to any manual backups you make, Quicken makes an automatic backup after so many times. Quicken makes all automatic backups to a folder named "BACKUP" in the same folder where your Quicken data resides.  Also if you have the backup add the date to the file name it will never overwrite the older backups.  So you will get more and more.

thankyou!  Quick response!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    volvogirl said:

Do you mean if I add the date to manual backups that the date is also added to the automatic backups? I have the date added to manual backups but do not see where I have added it to automatic ones.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    volvogirl said:

No I don't think it adds the date to the automatic backups.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

If date is not added to the automatic (or manual) backups, then the backup file name would never change (myname.QDF)

It seems that each automatic (or manual) backup would over write the original.

Then you could never have more than 1 backup!

What am I missing?

I'm using Quicken Deluxe 2012.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dick Rose said:

If date is not added to the automatic (or manual) backups, then the backup file name would never change (myname.QDF)

It seems that each automatic (or manual) backup would over write the original.

Then you could never have more than 1 backup!

What am I missing?

I'm using Quicken Deluxe 2012.

The automatic backups (QW2014 and I think back to 2010) do get date and time added to the auto-generated backup filename.  QW2009 and before added a sequential count to the autobackup filename (1 through 5 or more).
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'll jump into this old thread - have had this issue for a long time....
    Currently running - Win10 - QW2019 R22.17 -
    Regardless of the Backup setting ... Max is set to 6 - but have 13 files created -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.