I have trouble categorizing transfers between bank (Chase) and brokerage account

Options
mindyflauto
mindyflauto Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
What category should be used when money is transferred from a bank to a brokerage account? Under the master category "Transfer", only credit card is listed. I don't want it to appear in reports as income or spending. I am using Quicken 2016

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There isn't a right or wrong answer for this: use whatever you want. I normally use "Transfer" for all my transfers, but you could use Transfer:Investment, or Transfer:Brokerage. Use/create whatever you like.

It really doesn't matter, though. Since these are transfer transactions, the two sides will cancel out for reporting issues so you won't see it as income or spending as the net of the two transactions is $0. Your moving money from one pocket to another so to speak.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the answer was:
    • Add the Transfer column to your bank account register, if it doesn't already exist.
    • Using the Transfer column, select the transfer-to destination account.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    UKR said:

• Add the Transfer column to your bank account register, if it doesn't already exist.
    Yes, that is correct regarding how to perform the transfer.

I read this as the OP is confused about what Category to use for the transaction.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    UKR said:

In Mac I believe you can give a transaction both a transfer and a category.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    UKR said:

There is one case where assigning a category to a transfer can play an important role. That is for paycheck pre-tax contributions to a retirement account (e.g., a 401k). One creates a category (with the appropriate tax line assignment) and assigns this category to the transfer to the retirement account. This enables QMac to recognize and account for the pre-tax contributions in the Tax Schedule Report.

Likewise, one does a similar exercise to record taxable distributions from a retirement account.

This is an area where QMac differs markedly from QWin - and I think QMac has taken a lead over QWin with the added flexibility of being able to categorize a transfer.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

This discussion has been closed.