How is "Available Cash" in an investment account calculated, and how can I make it go away?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I've transferred my investment brokerage accounts, (along with all of my other accounts), from 2007 Quicken for Mac into Quicken for Mac 2017, 4.3.1.  In doing so, the "Market Values" are being inflated by the "Cash Balance" listed for each security.  I have no idea where this "Cash Balance" is coming from; it wasn't in my original 2007 Quicken for Mac files.

This "Cash Balance" is being added to the "[price quote x number of shares] Value" to result in an erroneous "Market Value" that is in turn added to the bottom line "Net Worth".  All I want to do is to adjust those "Cash Balance" values to zero for each of my investment brokerage accounts. How do I do that?

I've read a goodly number of related Customer Community suggestions and tried several of them, but I've yet to find one that works.  Thank you.

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Qm does not allow for linked cash accounts as is the case in QW ; I can't talk to QM2007 as I never had the pleasure of using this software..In the portfolio view QM17 shows investments & any cash balance  you may have in the account. Hence the total market value will be the stocks/mutual funds & a stand alone cash balance .
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The market value of an investment account is the sum of the market value of each security held in the investment account plus the investment account's cash balance.

In the investment account's Portfolio view, click on the Portfolio Value button and select Group By Security.  Following the last security in the list, there is a total line showing the Cost Basis and Value of all securities held in the account.  Is this what you are looking for?

I am still in the process of migrating from Quicken Premier to QM2017 and have no experience with QM2007.  I find it difficult to imagine that QM2007 would not include the cash balance in an investment account in the investment account's market value.  Cash is an asset with value and can produce income when the investment account has a "sweep" feature.

Please provide more information if I have misunderstood your issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for the reply, but... I don't have any cash balances in any of the investment funds I transferred over from QM07.  But somehow in the data transfer from the QM07 to QM17, cash balances were invented for every one of my investment accounts.  So now I'm just trying to find out how to subtract those cash balances from the investment accounts.  Very frustrating!!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Ok so you are not focused on the cash balance shown below the investments . If this is the case than I would say you are having an issue with the conversion of your data..Before you do anything drastic check the transactions for placeholders..This may or may not be your problema
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Hmm... I lost a reply that I tried to send.  (I'm not used to this new iMac.)  Anyway, how do I check for placeholders? 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Go to the Investment Account , click on transactions..if you have placeholders they should be grayed out towards the bottom of your transaction register 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    That does not appear to be my problem; I do not see any placeholders in the accounts I looked at.

When I tried to explain what was going on with my Fidelity investment manager, he was dumbfounded.  The "Market Value" is just the market price per share as determined by the market times the number of shares in the account.  Trying to adjust things with a spurious "Cash Balance" just doesn't make sense.

So, again, what I want to do is to remove the "Cash Balances" from all of my investment accounts so that the only account value that goes into my net worth is the number of shares I have in an account's portfolio times the daily Market price for that investment account.

How do I do that?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    In addition... I'm pretty sure that I have no balances in my investment cash accounts; I have two and they are both "0" in my QM2007 files, and my QM2007 files are repeatedly reconciled with my Fidelity Investment statements.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
     Do you see these cash balances anywhere in the transaction registers? Just trying to see what your seeing without seeing what your seeing.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    This may seem dumb but look at your investment account's transaction register.  Make sure that the "Type" column is displayed.

When new securities were acquired what type of transaction was used to record the acquisition?  If the new acquisitions were recorded using an Add transaction the cash balance was not reduced for the cost of the securities that were acquired.  You need to change the transactions to Buy transactions to reduce the cash balance.

I am assuming that you have Payment/Deposit transactions to record monies that you deposited with Fidelity Investments to purchase the securities.

Just grasping for straws based on your description of what happened.  :(
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi...

After reviewing the responses I've received and investigating QM17's capabilities a little bit more, I think I've solved my problem.  Yes, I have been able to remove the offensive "Cash Balances" from my investment accounts by deleting/modifying Uncategorized Cash Adjustments in the accounts transactions files.

Then I reconciled the number of shares for each investment account with statement data from my Fidelity account by making use of the "Add Shares" or "Remove Shares" in the "TYPE" of transaction; this records a change in the account's number of shares without changing the cash value of the account.  Perfect!

So I'm now a happy camper.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.