Quicken 2016 Deluxe loses investment transactions after posting

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken 2016  Deluxe on Win 7 desktop.  When entering investment transactions, random ones will appear to be either accepted from the downloaded transactions listed or entered manually, but a few transactions later some have disappeared from the register.  I usually notice it when I go to pull up an account Holdings list and find that it doesn't match the brokerage statement of holdings.  When I go back to find the discrepancy, it's because a previously entered transaction has disappeared.  Manually entering it again cures the discrepancy for that item, but does not stop the problem from occurring with other transactions.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Validate

You should validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes while running Quicken.

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click Validate File,
    check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action
    again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

If that doesn't
    resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data
    file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first
    occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that
    does not exhibit these symptoms.

http://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-restore-quicken-data-file-backup-file

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Will give it a try.  Had the same problem with Quicken 2013, upgraded recently to Quicken 2016 to try to get past the problem.  I just started entering transactions with the 2016, so this is the first time the problem has occurred with this program - so maybe it's the data file rather than the program, as you say.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Interesting - 15 pages of line items that it says 'transactions involving transfers appear to be damaged' .  Wants me to delete and recreate each.  The transactions in the list go all the way back to 2002, although this problem on the disappearing transactions is only a couple of years old.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Aside from the possibility that you have a damaged Quicken data file, as mentioned above, you also may have overlapping windows that results in clicking on the top layer window and resulting in it "bleeding through" to the bottom layer window.

My suggestion for eliminating that problem is to change VIEW > Use pop up registers and click it so the check mark doesn't show.  

Now, you'll only have one window showing at a time.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I don't use Pop-Up registers, but thanks for the info - will know to avoid in the future.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Ukr -

I fixed a couple of minor items in the Price History that the error log showed, and ran the Validation again to see if those reappeared.  They did not reappear - so presumably that worked - but also almost all other items in  the original list of errors also went away.  Only a couple of items concerning missing stock split info remained as errors.  Not sure if the other errors in the original huge list cured themselves, or if the validation process did not look at them any further.

This discussion has been closed.