"specify lots"

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited February 2019 in Investing (Windows)

I am encountering two issues with Quicken when specifying lot sales of a security: 1) acquisition dates shift for a subsequent sale when I sell part of a lot purchased; 2) sales seem to co-mingle lots of securities with different names but the same symbol. These circumstances may arise because I hold shares of the same security transferred to a new account from two different prior accounts -- one of which was a retail account, the other an ESPP account. Also, I could not effectively transfer the ESPP shares while retaining the ESPP categorization, so I  have retained tracking of them using a unique security name.

I recently upgraded to Quicken 2017 Premier for Windows.

Anyone with similar issues?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You are going to need to explain both circumstances in more detail for me to have a clear understanding of the two issues, particularly in light of your your unique circumstances. 

To that set of unique circumstances:  I would have expected you to perform a Shares Transferred between Accounts macro-transaction to move shares from one account to another.  That macro-transaction would have entered a Remove Shares transaction in the originating account and a series of Add Shares transactions in the receiving account - one Add Share per lot originally held and being transferred.  Once those Add Shares transactions are in the receiving account, their prior history is not really relevant.  They are simply 'shares' with an acquisition date and a cost basis.  So the first real question becomes:  immediately after the transfer, are the lot-by-lot share numbers, acquisition dates, and cost basis correct?

You will need to clarify what you did to transfer the ESPP shares.  While I do not recommend carrying two securities with a shared ticker symbol, it can be done and does not necessarily lead to the issues you seem to have.          
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

You are going to need to explain both circumstances in more detail for me to have a clear understanding of the two issues, particularly in light of your your unique circumstances. 

To that set of unique circumstances:  I would have expected you to perform a Shares Transferred between Accounts macro-transaction to move shares from one account to another.  That macro-transaction would have entered a Remove Shares transaction in the originating account and a series of Add Shares transactions in the receiving account - one Add Share per lot originally held and being transferred.  Once those Add Shares transactions are in the receiving account, their prior history is not really relevant.  They are simply 'shares' with an acquisition date and a cost basis.  So the first real question becomes:  immediately after the transfer, are the lot-by-lot share numbers, acquisition dates, and cost basis correct?

You will need to clarify what you did to transfer the ESPP shares.  While I do not recommend carrying two securities with a shared ticker symbol, it can be done and does not necessarily lead to the issues you seem to have.          

Based on the last time I tried, the only way you can transfer ESPP shares is to transfer all securities in the account. You cannot transfer just the ESPP shares.

So a workaround to transfer the ESPPs is to transfer all securities in the account and delete the remove shares for the other securities in the account.

That retains the ESPP type and will ensure only ESPP lots are available for ESPP sales.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Thank you q.lurker and mshiggins for your rapid responses to my inquiry.
    Yes, I understand that my initial note left out quite a bit of detail. Just hoping that others had encountered similar behavior previously. Now, I am proceeding to set up a "simple" example file in attempt to isolate the issue.
    RE: q.lurker's question. Yes, I performed standard "Shares Transferred between Account" actions from the prior accounts to the new one. Inspection of the info from  the transfers from the viewpoint of the "Specify Lots Sold in This Transaction" window confirm that the acquisition dates, purchase prices, and shares "Available to Sell" for all (13 from one 6 from the other) unique transfers remained correct in the new account.
    RE: mshiggins comment. Perhaps not transferring all securities caused my ESPP shares to lose their "identity" as ESPP shares. I simply don't recall how I executed the transfer in Quicken, as the action took place several years ago. The account, in fact, had at least 2 securities -- the ESPP shares and a money market fund. At this point, I am reluctant to go back and attempt to redo the transfer ... at least reluctant until I understand more fully what is happening to the file right now.
    Again, thanks to both of you for your timely responses.
This discussion has been closed.