investment performance reporting

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
using quicken 2017 Premier R3 for windows. The investment performance report is incorrect. for stock conversion transactions it is picking up the "shares removed" transaction, but is not including the "shares added" transaction. This reflects and incorrect ending balance and performance %

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Which report or view are you looking at?
    Some reports or views may need to be customized to include any new securities added to your portfolio.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The generic off the shelf Investment Performance report includes both Add Shares and Remove Shares transactions.  Further, the inclusion or exclusion of those lines would not alter the Ending Market Value.  Something may be amiss in your specific customization or data.  If a security was excluded from the report, that could explain both the omission of the line item and an incomplete ending market value.  

Please be more specific on the Conversion details and with your report details.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

The generic Performance report treats any withdrawal from the account in the Average annual return %. When one security is exchanged for another with no change in cash balance. The performance report is capturing the "shares removed" as a withdrawal, but is not recognizing the "shares added", there fore the performance % is inflated.

I have checked and all securities are present for reporting. The old security that shares were removed from and the new security that shares were added to.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Scott said:

The generic Performance report treats any withdrawal from the account in the Average annual return %. When one security is exchanged for another with no change in cash balance. The performance report is capturing the "shares removed" as a withdrawal, but is not recognizing the "shares added", there fore the performance % is inflated.

I have checked and all securities are present for reporting. The old security that shares were removed from and the new security that shares were added to.

Your premise is flawed.  See snip below from a conversion from one class to another of a MF.  
    Adds and Removed are included.  11,920.09 out, 11,920.08 in.  (Penny difference is the brokers fault (non-issue).  

I would be double checking securities used, and their hidden/visible status, and their selection for the report and the account selection for the report.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Can I ask what version of Quicken you are using? The problem with my performance report is that it is not including the "added " shares as is shown in you attached screen shot.

I have checked the Securities list to insure that the security is there.

The are no filters set for the report. It is set to select all securities.

The "added " share transaction is in the account transaction list, and the account beginning and ending totals balance with My financial institution.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

The mystery is solved. When the conversion transaction downloaded from my financial intuition. It did not include the cost for shares "added". Since it was a conversion, there was no cost impact, so the ending value was unchanged.

However, the shares "removed" had a cost associated with the transaction.

So I edited the "added" transaction to include the cost and BINGO, the performance report now reflects the "added " shares transaction and of course calculates the IRR % correctly.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've been using Quicken for 3 or 4 decades.  My Investment Portfolio graph from the investment screen (average annual return) still shows all those accounts I closed 20 years ago that are marked as hidden in Quicken,  There are so many accounts there that the four accounts I do use are not visible. There is no room and they are shunted  off the bottom.   Isn't there a way to customize this chart?  I don't know why hidden accounts are showing up here anyway.  It is very frustrating.  I doubt there is a resolution for this but I sure hope they fix it on their next update!
This discussion has been closed.