Buying shares of a stock is causing Quicken 2017 to calculate an insane cost basis

AbeK
AbeK Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
After buying 85 shares of Vivendi (bringing the total to 303 shares), Quicken Home & Business 2017 calculates an insane cost basis for the shares. If I remove the transaction, the cost basis seems to work fine. As soon as I add the transaction again, the insane cost basis returns.

Here's the transaction that I entered:

Here's the cost basis report of Vivendi before the transaction was entered:

And here's what it looks like after the transaction is entered (note the crazy cost basis):

I've tried running file validate/repair, but it neither reports that there's a problem nor solves it.

I've tried changing the number of shares bought, the price, and even the date purchased, and it still results in a crazy cost basis.

Any ideas?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Click the little [+] box next to the company name in the Portfolio view to see lot detail.
    Does any of the lot detail transactions look screwy?
    I suspect that one of the previously recorded transactions (buy, sell, dividend, etc.) may have gotten a bit flipped and needs to be corrected.

When doing file validation, did you check the "Rebuild investing lots" option, too?
  • AbeK
    AbeK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    There does not appear to be anything strange in the lots, and the security report of buys and sells checks out. I also ran the Validate/Repair Rebuild Investing Lots function and it still shows the huge negative cost basis. I'm stumped.
  • AbeK
    AbeK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I just fixed the problem. I opened every historical transaction and reentered it. For every sell, I re-specified the lots to sell. After doing this, it's all working again. Go figure. Thanks for your help, UKR. You prompted me to check each lot and transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    AbeK said:

I just fixed the problem. I opened every historical transaction and reentered it. For every sell, I re-specified the lots to sell. After doing this, it's all working again. Go figure. Thanks for your help, UKR. You prompted me to check each lot and transaction.

Data corruption, why do I suspect that Q17 is doing a better job of showing how bad the earlier versions where in protecting our data?  I've had several "weird" incidents since upgrading similar to this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    I believe my lots were corrupted when I did a share transfer between accounts.  When re-entered the transfer and did a manual lot selection it solved the problem.
This discussion has been closed.