windows 2015 to Mac 2017-missing data

BobG
BobG Member ✭✭
I just purchased Mac 2017 (4.4.3) and imported my Win 2015 data.  However, only data from November 20916 and prior got imported.  Data from December 2016 to present did not.  How can I get ALL of my data imported?  Or do I have conduct a massive cleanup operation?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Filtered register? Unexpected register sort order?
    "Missing" data?

Could it be that
    your account register in Quicken is

- sorted in some unexpected way, or

- filtered to show only certain transaction types or

- limited to a certain Date Range or

- perhaps only showing the results of a search instead of "all
    transactions"?

Filtered register?

Check the filter
    settings (on top of the register). Is the register filtered in any way to only
    show selected transactions? If so, click the Reset button to reset the filters.

To show all
    transactions in the register, the Filter settings should be:

"All
    Dates", "Any Type", "All Transactions".

Only Search results shown?

Is there any text in
    the Search box in the upper right-hand corner of the account register?

If there is text and
    a red X, click the X to reset the register from showing only search results
    back to normal mode.

Unexpected Register sort order?

Is the register
    sorted in any way other than by ascending Date? Look at the register's column
    header ... which column header is highlighted and/or has the little black
    triangle?

About Register sort order:

For best results,
    your account register should be sorted by Date in ascending order.

Click a register
    column header to effect a different sort order by the clicked column. Click the
    same column header again to toggle between ascending and descending sort order.
    A small triangle next to the column header indicates the sort order: ˄ pointing up for ascending or ˅ pointing down for descending sort order.

Are you new to Quicken Mac 2015/2016/2017?

Welcome.

If you haven't done
    so already, please review these videos for more information about Quicken Mac

https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac/videos

Getting Started with
    Quicken for Mac

https://www.quicken.com/support/getting-started-quicken-mac-2016

• BobG
    BobG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My sort fields are normal.  All my data is flagged to be shown.  No search items selected.

I imported my Win2015 data, looked at it, and noticed a lot of missing records.  I took me all afternoon to clean up Novembers data.

I had add to add the following data:

1.  Missing records;
    2.  Transaction type (deposit, debit, EFT, etc.)

I also noticed that:

my records are not sorted in Credit, Debit order.
    Scheduled transactions are not separated by bills, Income
    That I do not have the option of selecting "Next check Number" when entering new records.
    That I cannot change the date of a scheduled transaction when entering it (ex:  if transaction is scheduled for 11/25 but I pay it on 11/15, I cannot change the date unless I first mark it paid, then go back in and edit the record).

Is the above normal?
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2017
    BobG said:

My sort fields are normal.  All my data is flagged to be shown.  No search items selected.

I imported my Win2015 data, looked at it, and noticed a lot of missing records.  I took me all afternoon to clean up Novembers data.

1.  Missing records;

I also noticed that:

That I do not have the option of selecting "Next check Number" when entering new records.
    That I cannot change the date of a scheduled transaction when entering it (ex:  if transaction is scheduled for 11/25 but I pay it on 11/15, I cannot change the date unless I first mark it paid, then go back in and edit the record).

Is the above normal?

All of your data should have come over. If it didn't, the following things are the most likely: 1) you choose the wrong account to move over (i.e., an older file), or  2) your source file had issues and prevented complete conversion. There used to be an issue many years ago where a / or \ in a transaction would cease importing, but I believe that has been resolved. But, you could still look for it if you retry a conversion.

As fro the Transaction Type: you will want to display the "Action" column as that is where the alphanumeric items you describe are now located. They are no longer entered in the check number field, and the converter will move those to the Action column.

As for your other questions:

-- my records are not sorted in Credit, Debit order.
    Your records should be sorted by date. You can change the sort order to any column by clicking on the header. But, you will want to remain in date order sort for day to day use (and to display a running balance) If you are referring to you want your transactions on a particular date to display in a certain way, you can't control this-it is how you enter them (or how they got imported.) You can drag the transactions to the order you prefer if you wish to rearrange, though.

--Scheduled transactions are not separated by bills, Income

Correct-they will simply be presented either inline in the account, or within the Bill Reminder view that shows everything defaulted to date sort.

--That I do not have the option of selecting "Next check Number" when entering new records.

Hit the + or - key in the check number field to increment/decrement

--That I cannot change the date of a scheduled transaction when entering it (ex:  if transaction is scheduled for 11/25 but I pay it on 11/15, I cannot change the date unless I first mark it paid, then go back in and edit the record).
    You can, but it is how you mark it as paid. If you use the icons and click on Paid or Deposited, the transaction is posted exactly as is. If you double click and choose the Mark as Paid option from the drop down sheet (first option), this will take you to that transaction in edit mode where you can edit any details before posting. Tip: double click on the field you wish to change to bring immediate focus to that field. (I.e., if you wish to change the Amount, double click on that in the reminder, choose mark as paid, etc.
  • BobG
    BobG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    John

Thanks for the info and tips.  I finished my cleanup.

I discovered that, almost without exception, data for the months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb did not come through.  I transferred using the wizard that popped up when I loaded Quicken and I had only one file to transfer so I am at a loss as to what went wrong and why.

Thanks for the tip on incrementing the check number.  Is there a tip for entering the action (Deposit, EFT, etc.)?  Or must they be entered manually each time?

Also, thanks for the tip on editing scheduled transactions.

Another question:  In win 2015, I was able to manually mark an individual record as reconciled without having to go thru the full action.  This is handy for when I only have one record to be reconciled.  Does the Mac versions have a similar ability?

My problem is that I am so used to the windows version it is hard to break old habits.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2017
    BobG said:

John

Thanks for the info and tips.  I finished my cleanup.

I discovered that, almost without exception, data for the months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb did not come through.  I transferred using the wizard that popped up when I loaded Quicken and I had only one file to transfer so I am at a loss as to what went wrong and why.

Thanks for the tip on incrementing the check number.  Is there a tip for entering the action (Deposit, EFT, etc.)?  Or must they be entered manually each time?

Also, thanks for the tip on editing scheduled transactions.

Another question:  In win 2015, I was able to manually mark an individual record as reconciled without having to go thru the full action.  This is handy for when I only have one record to be reconciled.  Does the Mac versions have a similar ability?

My problem is that I am so used to the windows version it is hard to break old habits.

**Another question:  In win 2015, I was able to manually mark an individual record as reconciled without having to go thru the full action.  This is handy for when I only have one record to be reconciled.  Does the Mac versions have a similar ability?

You will want to display the "Cleared" column as that will allow you direct access to this setting a transaction to cleared or uncleared. If you Option click that check-box, you can force a reconciled status.  Only do this if you know what you are doing.

I don't use the Action column, so I don't know if there is a more efficient way to enter things such as DEP or EFT. But, Quick fill should auto populate things for previously entered transactions.
  • BobG
    BobG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    BobG said:

1.  Missing records;

I also noticed that:

Is the above normal?

I just posted a similar problem. Conversion of QDF file from QW 2016 to QM 2019 stopped at year 2006.  I'm missing all transactions tons beyond 2006.

What was your solution for this?
This discussion has been closed.