Security Names with Trademark or Registered Trademark are rendering incorrectly in Securities List

nucleartax
nucleartax Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Quicken for Mac 2017 - Version 4.4.3 - Build 44.15091.100
  • When I enter and use securities from institutions that have Trademarks or Registered Trademarks or Copyrighted names, the security name renders with improper characters in the Security View.  See image below for Fidelity securities.
  • When I update the names and edit out the errored characters, the next time I perform an update, the security name reverts back to the old value with the error.
I believe that the ACSII characters are being translated through XML through a less flexible character set and that is creating these alternate values.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Strange, strange, strange. I am using the exact same build of QM2017 and have many of the same Fidelity funds and do not see this problem. (See below.) Differences I notice are that mine are in ALL CAPS and most do not end in the word "fund" when yours do, even though the symbols are the same.

Are these funds held in a Fidelity Investments account? (Mine are.) One possible difference... mine were all created by the initial download from Fidelity, not manual entry.

Sorry I don't know what to tell you to do about it. Perhaps these observations will lead you to a hint of something to try that will get it fixed. 

To make matters worse, I changed the name of one fund to be Title Case and added "Fund" after the name. Then I did an update, and it remained as I had changed it (although the update did not download any new transactions):

If you are syncing with Fidelity Investments, then I'm really perplexed by this. If it's a different FI, then that may be the reason.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • nucleartax
    nucleartax Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    RickO said:

Strange, strange, strange. I am using the exact same build of QM2017 and have many of the same Fidelity funds and do not see this problem. (See below.) Differences I notice are that mine are in ALL CAPS and most do not end in the word "fund" when yours do, even though the symbols are the same.

Are these funds held in a Fidelity Investments account? (Mine are.) One possible difference... mine were all created by the initial download from Fidelity, not manual entry.

Sorry I don't know what to tell you to do about it. Perhaps these observations will lead you to a hint of something to try that will get it fixed. 

To make matters worse, I changed the name of one fund to be Title Case and added "Fund" after the name. Then I did an update, and it remained as I had changed it (although the update did not download any new transactions):

If you are syncing with Fidelity Investments, then I'm really perplexed by this. If it's a different FI, then that may be the reason.

Really good point: It turns out that I am not syncing with Fidelity, they are old transactions - I am not even updating the prices on these securities. This is purely the Quicken security list feature...the security names are updating independent of price updates.
  • nucleartax
    nucleartax Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    RickO said:

This is an old account.  I don't want to delete the account or the securities because I use for historical net worth.

FWIW - this was an imported account from QFW 2016.  Security symbols came over and the security names I originally used did not.
  • RickO
    edited February 2017
    RickO said:

If you double click a security in the securities list, then the Options button at the bottom, is "Download Quotes for this Security" checked? If so, perhaps unchecking this will let you change the names without them being changed back by Quicken.
  • RickO
    edited February 2017
    RickO said:

Also, you can hide the account in lists, but not in reports (menu Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts). Hiding in lists will exclude the account from the Update All command. Leaving it in reports may still let you see the historical net work. Maybe that will help.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    I went several years with the Fidelity names as they should be, and then I saw (and still have) the same behavior last fall.

The only thing I had done at that time was to enable mobile sync to test the new feature of 2017 that allows investment accounts to be shown in the mobile app. Now, whether or not that caused it-I don't know. But, it happened around the same time.

I have since turned mobile off, but still see the garbage. I never tried renaming the security though to see if it reset. I should.
  • nucleartax
    nucleartax Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    RickO said:

FWIW, I have disabled download quotes for this security, and the name still updates after I have edited and corrected.  Bottom line, this is just a cosmetic issue for security names with anything that doesn't work in XML. Intuit should be concerned about it.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    I note the trademark issue as well on the Fidelity fund in my portfolio
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    From Investing.Quicken.com..shows trademark as well..Just checked it at my Fi..no trademarks..Looks to be an investment.Quicken.com issue

This discussion has been closed.