To delete an investment account and start over?

Options
steveogetsatis
steveogetsatis Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I managed my IRA in Quicken through 2011 then stopped. I've updated to Q17 Premier and want to restart. However, the old data is filled with no longer owned securities, and data for securities still owned is 6 years old. I've considered deleting the account and starting over. (I'm not interested in preserving the past data in Q.) But at the end of the delete process Q warns me, "You are about to delete setup information for an online acocunt. To cancel the service, you must call your financial institution." Huh?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It is telling you that it still has the connection information for downloading, which you will have to re-enter if you want to re-establish the connection, and that deleting the account in Quicken does not delete the actual account or anything you have done at the financial institution to permit online access.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

It is telling you that it still has the connection information for downloading, which you will have to re-enter if you want to re-establish the connection, and that deleting the account in Quicken does not delete the actual account or anything you have done at the financial institution to permit online access.

Stated a slightly different way, Quicken is telling you that the program is making the disconnect on its end, but the FI will not know that has occurred.  If the FI is charging you for access to your account through personal finance software, you need to separately contact the FI to close things off on that end.  
This discussion has been closed.