Edit Holdings Mac

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Mac)
How do I edit holdings in QM2017? I have just started using this version, having used QWindows forever. The conversion actually went well. Then I ran an online update for my accounts. The 401(k) account brought in semi-duplicate securities, in essence doubling my holdings (wish that were true!). I am trying to delete the duplicate securities and cannot figure out how. The help I found says to click "Edit Holdings". I don't have an Edit Holdings button. Holdings isn't under the Edit menu. And the Edit button at the bottom of the screen is grayed out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Either find the erroneous transactions in the register that added the holdings, and delete that (or those) transaction(s).

Or add a new Remove Shares transaction to remove extra shares.

Also, look at the beginning of the register. You may have placeholder transaction(s) that shouldn't be there. If so, deleting it/those may fix the issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If I understand correctly one cannot edit securities in the portfolio view or Security detail if they are downloaded from the Fi.

I suspect the best way to deal with this is in the account register in question. look for the duplication there, also pay attention to the placeholders which may need to be manipulated or deleted to make things match up correctly with your Fi. The placeholders are found at the bottom of the registers in light gray..you should also see the orange pencil .

One last thing, make a copy of your "present data" so you have something to fall back to as you go thru this issue.  Good luck and tell us how your doing as you go forward.
  • Lyn Buddenhagen
    Lyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Concordman and Rick always give great advice! A couple of extra notes: first, if you really mess up you can restore from your previous backup - I think the default is for QM2017 to automatically back up at the end of each session. The File menu has a "restore from backup" that you should use, because the files are in a really difficult place to find. 
    Also, in order to figure out what entries are wrong for each security, in the Transactions view you can put the name or ticker of the security in the search bar (with the magnifying glass); to make the search quicker you can click on the magnifying glass and select the kind of thing you want - in this case, the security. Good luck and let us know how it's going. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I have found what happened. I do not know for sure what I should do to solve it. Here is what happened: The download added a transaction with a date of 12/31/13, which is the date this account started. The transaction is an Add Shares of a new security with a very similar, but not identical, name to an existing security. Since it is a "new" security, it is adding the number of shares that I already have, to this second similar security. So, for example, it added 1,000 shares to a Real Asset Index Fund 123456, when I already have 1,000 shares of the Real Asset Index Fund. So I end up with two securities, each with 1,000 shares. Question now is: which security to remove? If I remove the original security, I lose all the historical transactions. If I remove the "new" security, I bet I'll have this problem every time I download. Is there a good choice? Or is there a way to merge the securities so that QM2017 will not duplicate in the future downloads? Thanks again.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes you can Merge them, drag the securities on top of each other. You'll get a pop up asking you which security you want to keep , don't forget about the placeholders
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks! I've mostly fixed the issue. Have lost some small adjustments along the way. Is there a simple way to update share holdings, now that I no longer have duplicates? I know I can add/remove shares security by security. But is there a way to just type in the current holdings and have that adjustment entry auto-populate?

Thanks again everyone.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You share balances should match. Did you check the placeholders?
This discussion has been closed.