How to split a quicken data file

Hi,
I have a quicken data file that has accounts and transaction as far back as 2001. The data file isn't particularly large (34+ MB). But it has accounts (bank, credit card, investment) that are not currently active. I would like to split this file on 5 year (arbitrary length) boundaries. Is there a Quicken utility function available that can perform this split? I could like to not copy inactive accounts into the new quicken data file.
I realize any uncleared transactions would need to be carried forward into the new file.

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    Quicken for Mac does not provide any mechanism to break up your data. It is intended that you keep all your data (no matter how old) in a single file. 

I would hide inactive accounts and move forward with the same file. It is highly doubtful that, even if you stripped out older accounts, you would see a performance gain. 

Don't break up your data.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

Quicken for Mac does not provide any mechanism to break up your data. It is intended that you keep all your data (no matter how old) in a single file. 

I would hide inactive accounts and move forward with the same file. It is highly doubtful that, even if you stripped out older accounts, you would see a performance gain. 

You suggest that Quicken is intended to "keep all your data (no matter how old) in a single file. But Quicken Support suggested to me a few months ago that I delete (some) data in order to get various reports to display. I have more than 10 years of financial data within my Quicken file. 

Right now, the Overview, Accounts Summary, virtually all my reports, don't display. Rather, the app just seems to keep churning without ever displaying the requested reports. See https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2qs2qdzs91vx16/Screenshot%202017-03-31%2021.03.00.png?dl=0 As well, the display of the budget function is awry, with columns and rows just broken. See https://www.dropbox.com/s/pe0p0mozoyxvk83/Screenshot%202017-03-31%2021.05.47.png?dl=0  My Quicken program, from an analytical viewpoint, has become unusable. I run Quicken 2016 Version 3.5.5 (Build 35.13301.100). 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

Quicken Canada or US?  My suggestion depends on your answer. 

BTW, I have Quicken data since 1987.  All Quicken "regular" features, such as reports and budgets work just fine.

New features such as Online Bills, Quicken Cloud sync to mobile and Credit Score...now that's a problem for me.  But the main functionality of Quicken works just perfectly for me with 30 years of data.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017

US
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

Answer #1:  Get a computer with a SSD.  Much faster.

Answer #2:  I had a data file over 50MB and did a yearend backup back thru 2010 and deleted all transactions prior to that.  File still in the 30MB range but much faster.  I keep the old backup file just incase and convert for reporting prior to 5 years.

This discussion has been closed.