investing portfolio "day gain/loss?"

davekr
davekr Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
qmac 2017 - when I select portfolio view in investing group on sidebar, "market value" & "day gain/loss" are shown top right. after the close of markets on any given day, my "market value" will be accurate to the penny, however my "day gain/loss" will be inaccurate? on monday's (after market close) the "day gain/loss" will show 0.00? if I change the date to the previous sunday, it will reflect accurate "day gain/loss" for monday's market activity??? however if I have sync'd to mobile and launch the mobile app, the mobile app will show the accurate "day gain/loss!!!!" ow do I make the qmac 2017 investing portfolio accurate?

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    I believe Qm is set top to reset the previous day's G&L at 12AM for the next day. So all the items in your portfolio will show at 0.00%. If you would like to see your individual investment daily G/L , go to the Calendar, click on the % block for that day, you will see all your investment activity for the day
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I am unsure of where the % block is in "that day?" could you post a screen shot? as for "all the investment activity" on some days, individual equities will be correct, while others are 0 or inaccurate without rhyme or reason?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    davekr said:

I am unsure of where the % block is in "that day?" could you post a screen shot? as for "all the investment activity" on some days, individual equities will be correct, while others are 0 or inaccurate without rhyme or reason?

Go to the Calendar view, click on the gear, make sure you have this condition if you don't want to see transactions or balances in the daily block you can uncheck, but make sure investment changes is checked. The daily blocks will populate, you click on the percentage , you will see your daily gainers & losersimage
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    davekr said:

thx, never knew that was there! however selecting "calendar" causes my quicken qmac 17 Version 4.4.3 (Build 44.15091.100) to crash! 3 times in a row! I've run disk utility and there are no system problems? can I buy a vowel?
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    davekr said:

OK, now that i can make qmac 17 crash on command by clicking calendar, I am still at a loss as to why q mobile will show exact market change in all my accounts, yet qmac 17 shows 0.00 change for over half of the equities in any given account? FYI it's 19:40 PDT 22:40 EDT?
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    after a complete file rebuild (no validation like Qwin) I am still having the same inaccurate "day gain/loss" at top right of page under investment tab? security prices check, shares of security check, yet somedays (always on mondays) this gain/loss will be wildly inaccurate! any help?
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

I believe Qm is set top to reset the previous day's G&L at 12AM for the next day. So all the items in your portfolio will show at 0.00%. If you would like to see your individual investment daily G/L , go to the Calendar, click on the % block for that day, you will see all your investment activity for the day

OK, so I have been round the horn on possible solutions, still I have not found the answer to making investing portfolio day gain/loss (both dollars & percentage) in the upper right hand corner accurate? the individual accounts are accurate, the daily quotes are accurate, the share totals are accurate, the day/gain loss is WILDLY INACCURATE? 

anyone have the same experience?

any way to correct this inaccuracy?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

after a complete file rebuild (no validation like Qwin) I am still having the same inaccurate "day gain/loss" at top right of page under investment tab? security prices check, shares of security check, yet somedays (always on mondays) this gain/loss will be wildly inaccurate! any help?

If I understand this data is reset to zero at midnight
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

well, I wish I could find some solace in when it's reset, I'd be happier if this information would ever be correct! Qwin was spot on accurate with day gain/oss? 

just to add insult to this inaccuracy, if one opens the IOS app, the day gain/loss WILL be accurate?

would quicken allow an inaccurate balance on a checking account?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

Just checked this on my accounts total in the upper right corner is correct ..day gain/losses
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

I guess after guiding me go the calendar % for each day and the drop down menu, now your day gain/loss is correct? was it correct from the beginning? 

perhaps I'm the only person that this display has meaning?
    I use it as a check & balance from my brokers web site,
    however since switching to Qmac (both 16 & 17) this display has been accurate just a handful of times?

glad it's working for you, can't figure out why mine is misfiring???

anyone from quicken want to chime in?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

No reason for it not to be accurate, I can say I don't cross check it this way daily but every so often I check for correctness
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

I agree, the share price/# shares/cash should be a simple calc for a database and should be independent of when quicken externally updates?

however, my experience is one of failure on this issue in Qmac 17.

in Qwin I found it to be accurate and relied upon it, rather than visit broker's site and have to compare the two...
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    hey, GOOD NEWS....

today's "Day Gain/Loss" is only off by $8.21

seriously Qmac team, what is going on with my inability to get accurate results?
    each investment account is accurate to the penny, yet the gain/loss has a complete mind of it's own?

büeller?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

hey, GOOD NEWS....

today's "Day Gain/Loss" is only off by $8.21

seriously Qmac team, what is going on with my inability to get accurate results?
    each investment account is accurate to the penny, yet the gain/loss has a complete mind of it's own?

büeller?

Just checked it again on my Portfolio..All is good
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    how would you suggest I make my portfolio "all good" too?
    I appreciate your responses, but I'm looking for a path to correct my issue?
    where would you suggest one turn to accomplish accuracy in portfolio "day gain/loss?"
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

how would you suggest I make my portfolio "all good" too?
    I appreciate your responses, but I'm looking for a path to correct my issue?
    where would you suggest one turn to accomplish accuracy in portfolio "day gain/loss?"

Here is how I would start..go to your Fi website..check the closing price of your stocks today..Are they different than the price  shown in QM? Determine which price is correct, the FI or QM. Click on the security to determine what the quoted price is on Investing.Quicken.com..When you have all three sets of closing quotes determine which is being downloaded into your portfolio..If the three sets of closing quotes are different we can then attempt to figure out what is happening to you.

Do you download electronically from your Fi? If yes do you use Direct or Quicken Connect?
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    uhm, I'll repeat from my earlier posts, 
    the shares amounts are identical w/FI tally,
    the share prices are identical w/FI reports,
    the account values are identical w/FI balances...

so given that the shares/prices/balances are to the penny?

yet, each day the "day gain/loss" is skewed,
    MON are particularly inaccurate, seems that 
    share prices are backloaded from MON to SUN?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    davekr said:

Have you tried disconnecting the mobile app ? If not try it, let us know what you get
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    do you mean logging out of the mobile app? 

if so, then yes I have gone over a week with
    mobile app signed out, no change on Qmac?

for what it's worth, the mobile app will report 
    accurate day gain/loss when Qmac is way off!
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    anyone know of the path to get an issue like this escalated up the quicken food chain? 
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    still experiencing quicken downloading quotes for non market days?
    week ends and holiday market closed days, quicken will take FRI's
    price and log it as SAT's price? on MON quicken will backfill SUN's price
    so at end of day on MON the "day gain/loss" will be 0.00%

any idea on how to STOP loading of quotes on non market days?
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    davekr said:

ironically the mobile app is accurate with day gain/loss?
    build 4.6.2 = same same, no accuracy on day gain/loss!

anyone?
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    with the advent of Q2018, anyone think this will ever get fixed for Q2017?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I am facing the same issue too. I am using Quicken Mac 2018 version and it shows selected date's loss/gain on the day before the selected date. And I am able to consistently reproduce it. Seems to me it is some kind of datetime conversion bug and may be specific to timezone as well. I am in the Pacific time zone. I checked on Quicken iOS app and it shows correctly. Please fix it. 

Here is my today's gain/loss example. Today is 11/27/2017(Monday) and the stock market is open but my loss/gain is 0%. Yesterday was Sunday and market was closed. But in my portfolio, all of my today's loss/gain shows in Sunday's view.

11/27/2017 - Monday

Here is 11/26/2017 - Sunday
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I agree, the quicken app in my IOS device matches my broker's page for day gain/loss!
    I also get the SUN problem, showing a change in value from FRI's closing prices, 
    why doesn't quicken accurately account for markets being closed?
    but, HEY! you answered my question as to if quicken was paying attention to this FAILURE!
    and now I know this is NOT a reason to upgrade 2017 ---> 2018!
    I appreciate it!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    davekr said:

I agree, the quicken app in my IOS device matches my broker's page for day gain/loss!
    I also get the SUN problem, showing a change in value from FRI's closing prices, 
    why doesn't quicken accurately account for markets being closed?
    but, HEY! you answered my question as to if quicken was paying attention to this FAILURE!
    and now I know this is NOT a reason to upgrade 2017 ---> 2018!
    I appreciate it!

This is frustrating when you pay for something and which is expected to give you the better result than freely available other tools but in reality, it is incomplete and full of defects.
    To add more twist Quicken switched to the subscription model so that they can charge the users for same bugs year after year. Please fix this bug for now and add few more for the next version to keep us excited. ;)
  • davekr
    davekr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    fix it & I might upgrade too!
This discussion has been closed.