Net Worth and Portfolio Values don't match

2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Match holdings to the difference - I attempted to see if any one or two positions (holdings) matched the ~$18K difference, and was unable to do so, so I have no idea why the $18 difference exists between the Net Worth report and the Portfolio Value report. Brokers report and Quicken portfolio match exactly. The problem appears to be the Net Worth report and how it arrives at a different value.
    Validation - yes did both simultaneously. I did not "Delete Price history", since I need it going back over 5 years.
    Any thoughts on what to try? Also, I am unable to "drill down" in the net worth report to see details, when I try, it just brings on the account transactions?

I am having the same problem with Quicken 2015.  I am a CPA and very skilled in drilling down and finding errors.  In one instance I can see the transaction register correctly accounting for a stock purchase of 1,000 shares at $14 per share for a total of $14,000 cost to purchase, only to see my IRR calculations be driven to a negative 99.999% because the IRR calculator used $1,400,000 as my cost basis.  in a separate account, I sold a security or two for $100,000.  Somehow these securities were entirely deleted in the Net Worth and IRR calculations - as if they do no exist.  So my Net Worth report understates the historical account balances because it does not include the "deleted" securities and my IRR reports are inflated because the account value jumps by $100,000 when the replacement securities are purchased.  

I purchased Quicken to serve as a tool to help me monitor my long-term portfolio performance.  Quicken is proven so unreliable, I have abandoned Quicken for these purposes and all Quicken users should be made aware of these defects immediately.  So disappointed.
  • was_a_guru
    was_a_guru Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have this same problem in Quicken 2015. When looking at my net worth report with the Account Detail checked, I see many stocks listed that I previously sold, wrong balances (some negative) for ones that I currently hold, and a large cash balance that is incorrect. I have no idea how Quicken gets these numbers. Any chance this is better in Quicken 2017?
  • was_a_guru
    was_a_guru Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    After a bit (actually a lot) of experimenting I found that if you:
    Open your Net Worth Report
    Click on "Customize"
    Click on "Categories"
    Scroll down and click on "UnrzdGain", then
    Click on "Advanced" tab
    Click on "Include unrealized gains"
    Click on OK

The Investment totals (for any specific investment account) WILL match the Investment Holdings @ any given date. The Net Worth total includes the sum of the Investment account and the linked checking (or savings) account. :(

Any other combination of those two settings produces very weird results. :(
  • Reed Welch
    Reed Welch Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the update. I know it can be time consuming as it was for me. One has to be driven by problem solving to tackle these types of issues.
    In April I updated to QM2017, which unexpectedly solved these issues for me. All balances and Net Worth Statements are aligned. Converting to QM2017 had issues, kind of like doing old Windows upgrades in the 90's, surprises that required intervention and taking a nerd's approach, but it worked in the end.
    If I revert to QWin, I'll keep this in mind.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

Match holdings to the difference - I attempted to see if any one or two positions (holdings) matched the ~$18K difference, and was unable to do so, so I have no idea why the $18 difference exists between the Net Worth report and the Portfolio Value report. Brokers report and Quicken portfolio match exactly. The problem appears to be the Net Worth report and how it arrives at a different value.
    Validation - yes did both simultaneously. I did not "Delete Price history", since I need it going back over 5 years.
    Any thoughts on what to try? Also, I am unable to "drill down" in the net worth report to see details, when I try, it just brings on the account transactions?

I have the same problem.  A 16K discrepancy between account balance and net worth account balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017

I am having the same issue. I am using Quicken Home and Business 2017 R2.  The register (investing) report for one investment account has the correct holdings and values however when I use the net worth report it shows a higher value for that account. to the tune of more than $13,000.00.  I have compared year end balances using both reports and the discrepancy occurs in each year as far back as I have checked (2011).

Same thing only $16K
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    me said:

A quick update to this chain.  To better drill down, I suggest you compare

Report:Net Worth (Account Details checked) against Account:Holdings.  

This will show you the security that is not matching, or if the difference is just cash.  

Using this I have been able to identify and correct nearly every security transaction (a few are down to fractions of a share that I think stem from splits).  I do have cash differences (always zero cash in account and some cash in Net Worth) that I have still been unable to correct.  

The way "me" attacks the problem is correct: Report:Net Worth (Account Details checked) against Account:Holdings.  

In my case, it was the financial institution that was sending the information wrong and Quicken was trying to correct it.

(This dates back more than a decade ago and I'm just catching it now as I moved the account to another institution).

The institution was crediting, say, a dividend, then crediting it again when it was reinvested. Quicken (or it might have been me; it was more than a decade ago and I don't remember) in turn would "update cash balance." Essentially, I was double counting the dividend. 

Once I stripped out the double entry, the net worth and account balance reports were correct. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Unfortunately, the "fix" that "was_a_guru" recommended did not fix my problem of the net worth and market values mismatch. After doing a lot of searching, I printed out the "Portfolio Value and Cost Basis" report where I discovered that the entire problem was created by entries I had made (years and years ago) on several investments involving the Return of Capital on those investments. I made the decision that the problem was so many years ago that "re-categorizing" those dollar amounts as Dividends rather than Return of Capital would have no affect on my cash flow in the cash account...and taxes were well beyond the statue of limitations for me to worry about "messing up" my reports from that many years ago. So...I recategorized all the Return of Capital entries as Income / Dividend, each with the same dollar amount as was used in the original entry. All of my reports now match perfectly, and I am not going to think about this problem ever again. I hope this post helps someone else as they are trying to figure out this problem that seems to only occur with an investment account linked to a cash account where an entry of Return of Capital is made in the investment account. What a mess!
  • todivefor
    todivefor Member ✭✭
    I use the net worth report to track my portfolio from year to year (1 investment account). For the past 3 years, it has always reported higher than the portfolio value report or the account overview for year end. I spent a lot of time fudging dates to determine when the discrepancy occurred. I set details to on in the net worth report and found the discrepancy to always be in the cash account. I have no cash account. All cash is kept in a MM fund. All cash is offset to this account. I found 3 of 4 discrepancies with buys into this fund. I have been unable to track down the 4th yet. In the net worth report, there is a security called “no security (includes cash).” If I select only this, the report shows the amount of the discrepancy. If I unselect only this, the report is way, way off. I can easily get around this reporting error, but would have much more faith in reporting, if the report were correct.
This discussion has been closed.