Securities Assigned As Index (Asset Class) don't appear in the Portfolio Value Inventory (by Asset C

Tpasci
Tpasci Mac Beta Beta
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
When I assign the asset class for a security as "Index",
then the security gets removed from the 'Portfolio Value' view (organized by 'Asset
Class'). As a work around, I change the security to, say, 'Unclassified', or
'Large Cap Stock', then the security reappears in the 'Portfolio Value' view (organized
by 'Asset Class'). On the surface, dropping investment securities with Asset Class assignment "Index" appears odd.  Thoughts?   
Quicken for Mac 2017 Version 4.5.8  

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I'm not sure it's the same for security types on QMac, but in QWin the index security type is intended solely for true indexes, like the S&P 500. The index security type is not for index mutual funds.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tpasci
    Tpasci Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    And to clarify, I'm not referring to Security Type, but rather Security Asset Class.

When I refer back to my QWin 2016 R12, the drop list for Asset Class doesn't 'offer' the "Index" choice.  But in my QMac 2017, the Asset Class drop list provides "Index".   The QWin has 8 Asset Classes; the QMac has 10 Asset Classes.
    Therefore, in QMac, picking "Index", to me, should still allow the security to appear in the QMac Portfolio Value view (when organized by 'Asset Class').  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Tpasci said:

And to clarify, I'm not referring to Security Type, but rather Security Asset Class.

When I refer back to my QWin 2016 R12, the drop list for Asset Class doesn't 'offer' the "Index" choice.  But in my QMac 2017, the Asset Class drop list provides "Index".   The QWin has 8 Asset Classes; the QMac has 10 Asset Classes.
    Therefore, in QMac, picking "Index", to me, should still allow the security to appear in the QMac Portfolio Value view (when organized by 'Asset Class').  

Tpasci, I think the reply from mshiggins is correct. That is, you should NOT select Index as an Asset Class. I don't know why it allows you to -- I'm guessing it's so you could add other indexes than the 11 built-in ones Quicken provides. (For instance, the PHLX Semiconductor Index, SOX, or the NASDAQ 100 Index, NDX.) The Index class is specifically for tracking pricing without holding any assets.

I guess a better question might be: why do you so strongly want to use Index as an Asset Class? If you have a mutual fund in which you invest in index funds, the Asset Class should be Mixed/Multiple, or Large Cap Stocks, or whatever class of investment it is.

(To me, the list of asset classes is pretty worthless at this point, since there's no real reporting on investment performance in Quicken 2017 -- but hopefully that will come in time. It's also not a very fine-grained list of assets classes; you can't separate growth from value investments, or specify specific sectors.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tpasci
    Tpasci Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Tpasci said:

Hmm, not sure may inquiry to the forum suggested I was "so strongly want" anything. I just pointed out an observation, in QMac, if a user picked "Index" from the Asset Class attribute, then QMac then 'drops' the security from the Portfolio view (by Asset Class).  Or to state differently, QMac offers 10 Asset Classes, and if the user makes use of all 10 Asset Classes, then all 10 do not appear in the Portfolio View (by Asset Class attributes)...which to me is odd, given the grand total for the Portfolio is no longer the sum of the classes (because 1 of the 10 classes is dropped).

Now back to Asset Class, my 401k's website assigns this particular security as "Index" cohort, so, to better align QMac's portfolio with the groupings used by my 401k manager, I tried QMac's generous selection of Asset Class choices.

Am I "so strongly want", heavens no.  Just giving my brand new QMac for a spin.
    By the way, I've been a QWin user since 1998, and just recently bought an iMac. So it's been a good experience trying the quicken experience on a whole new platform and approach to things.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Tpasci said:

Tpasci, sorry if I mischaracterized your desire. I thought mshiggins original reply to simply not use Index (even though it was mislabeled "Type" rather than "Asset Class" in that reply) for individual securities was an answer to solve your issue with disappearing transactions. If you were simply exploring, then hopefully my answer above provides more of an explanation what the Index Asset Class was apparently  intended for. The simple answer remains just don't use it for investments. (It should warn users of this.) Hope that helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tpasci said:

On the QWin side, there is no index asset class, but there is an index security type.

Edit: And the index security type behaves as the OP describes - the security stops being treated like a normal security.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tpasci
    Tpasci Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Tpasci said:

Thanks for the comments and perspective.

Continuing my exploration of QMac 2017.    
  • Lyn Buddenhagen
    Lyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tpasci said:

Hi, you cannot buy an index, but you can buy an "index fund" - a mutual fund or ETF whose holdings are designed to mirror the index. So if you call a security an index, QM2017 is right in not showing it as a purchased asset. Does that help?
  • André Roy
    André Roy Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In the "Cash" Asset Class the "Cash" is not shown although it appears in the Total for the Asset Class "Cash". Other Assets specified as "Cash" in the Corresponding Security Dialog Boxes show correctly under the Heading "Cash"!
This discussion has been closed.