QMac 2017: Make it easier to mark a transaction "Reviewed"

Michael 23
Michael 23 Member ✭✭
I'm using Quicken for Mac 2017 and I really love it.    I would like it better if it were easier to mark transactions as "Reviewed".

Currently, I have to select the unreviewed transactions, then right-click and from the pop-up menu choose "Set status of selected transactions to --> Reviewed".  Then I have to click one transaction to de-select the group. It's too many steps in my opinion.

About 99% of the time, I just want all transactions set as "Reviewed". I would love it if the toolbar at the bottom of the screen had a "Mark all Selected" button.

Thanks,
Michael
Tagged:

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    I agree. Would be nice. 

Until Quicken gets around to (if ever) implementing this, I made a macro in Keyboard Maestro which does it on a keystroke. I'd be glad to share, but it will cost $36 to buy KM (which I think is well worth it for all it does.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes, I wrote a Macro for 3 or more...but it doesn't work well on one or 2, and we need a simple menu item.

OMG--just read RickO's post--exactly--Keyboard Maestro macro--we can share (i.e., I can too).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    For what is worth, this how it is done on the Windows side.

One click on the "New" gets you the menu shown.
  • Paige
    Paige Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Here is a quicker way to do it in Quicken for Mac 2017.  This will save you a couple clicks.  When you see that blue dot to the left of the transaction just click on the blue dot.  You will have option to just click "reviewed" - or to solve your second question - you can click "Mark all downloaded transactions as reviewed". Hope this helps.  
  • RickO
    edited August 2017
    DHC said:

Yes, I wrote a Macro for 3 or more...but it doesn't work well on one or 2, and we need a simple menu item.

OMG--just read RickO's post--exactly--Keyboard Maestro macro--we can share (i.e., I can too).

imageimageDHC,

Here's my macro. Works well on any number of highlighted transactions. Probably requires tweaking the images for the individual computer.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    DHC said:

Wouldn't the solution posted by Paige (below), similar to QPW's solution for Windows, do the trick and be much easier to use?
  • Michael 23
    Michael 23 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

Here is a quicker way to do it in Quicken for Mac 2017.  This will save you a couple clicks.  When you see that blue dot to the left of the transaction just click on the blue dot.  You will have option to just click "reviewed" - or to solve your second question - you can click "Mark all downloaded transactions as reviewed". Hope this helps.  

This is very helpful, thank you!  Not obvious to the causal observer, but definitely useful.  Many thanks.
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    DHC said:

Wow, thanks, RickO--better than mine...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

So much for KM.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

Does anyone have a screenshot of this?
    It sounds just like the way it is done on Windows.
    Note that if reduce the Status column to its minimum size only the blue dot will be shown.  Which sounds just like what you are describing on the Mac.

Note this "review system", came first on Mac and then on Windows, but I believe the "Review All" was first on Windows, and put into Mac.  :-)
  • RickO
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

Here's a screenshot:

• RickO
    edited August 2017
    DHC said:

@UKR... Paige's solution is certainly much simpler and requires no third party tool or scripting.

I like my KM macro for two reasons:

1) It operates from a keyboard shortcut (although I could have made a keyboard macro for Paige's solution), and

2) My macro only operates on those transactions that I have selected. I will occasionally leave a transaction as unreviewed if I'm still looking into something about it (e.g.. expecting a refund) to remind me. Paige's solution would mark it reviewed when I don't want it to be.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

Hmm does look a bit different.  I notice the "Not Reviewed" on your menu.
    The Windows version doesn't have it.  That one doesn't really sound that useful, but it does beg the question if Quicken Mac has a way to reverse a "Mark All"?

Sometime people have selected mark all by mistake, and then basically they don't know that they didn't already review.
  • RickO
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

Not Reviewed... useful if you want to mark one transaction as Not Reviewed, perhaps if you marked it as reviewed inadvertently.

If you want to undo a Mark All action, you can do so with Edit > Undo, as long as you haven't closed the file.

The popup menu above that is triggered by clicking the status icon can not be applied to multiply selected transactions. When you click it, any multiple transaction selection you have made reverts to the single transaction you clicked.

However, there is the contextual (right click) menu below, which can be applied to a multiple transaction selection:

This is the menu that my KM macro triggers. Really all the KM macro does is find a selected transaction with an icon in the Status column, and triggers this contextual menu. But it does it with a keyboard shortcut, so eliminates all the mousing around.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

P.S. Thank you for the screenshot!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

It sounds like they did a good job on the undoing of this (and I believe other "undos").

Quicken Windows has a very limited set of things you can undo.
  • RickO
    edited August 2017
    Paige said:

Yes, on Mac, you can undo almost anything and keep undoing back many, many levels.
This discussion has been closed.