QWin 2016 H&B: Preferences does not show option for Calendar and Currency

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I would like to start using multiple currencies for investments but the Edit Preferences dialog where you are supposed to be able to set this does not show Calendar and Currency - it only shows Calendar. 
I have Quicken Home & Business 2016, Release R 4 (25.1.4.5) Canadian Edition, running Windows 10. 

Some dialogs show the option to change currency but they are all disabled (greyed out), except for Edit Security Details for some Market Index such as S&P 500 Index. 

I created a new test quicken file to be confident that there is nothing about the file itself that prevents this option from being enabled. 
Browsing the support site shows that there is a great deal of confusion about this feature, particularly what versions support it. I would upgrade if I thought it would help, but my support browsing does not lead me to think that an upgrade will help. 

I'm hoping that there is something very basic that I am missing.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I run the US, not Cdn, version of H&B ... but it's my understanding that your version should support multiple currencies also.

That you don't see such suggests that you may have a corrupted program install.  SO so a QCleanUI uninstall (a Win uninstall isn't sufficient) and re-install Quicken.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    I just reinstalled Quicken 3 days ago on a brand new Windows install, so I don't think that a corrupted install is likely. Any other ideas?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    The Canadian version doesn't have that option.  It is always in Multiple Currency mode.

On the changing of the currency.  In general you can't change it.  As in the currency is decided when you create the account.

Also in the US version you can set the Home currency, you can't in the Canadian version.
    It is always set to CAD.

Well that isn't "strictly true".  In truth if you were to open the Canadian data file in an US version of Quicken you could change it there.  And then if you opened it in the Canadian version of Quicken it would be set to whatever you set it to in the US version.

The Home currency is the default currency.  As in the one picked if no other currency is chosen for the account.  It is used in the views and such.

Note there has been a reported bug that Express Web Connect can sometimes change the currency of an account when it shouldn't.  Like the account is set to USD, and after the import it is set to CAD.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks. Your reply seems to indicate that an account can be in a different currency, but not some securities an an account. My use case is that some securities in an account are USD and some are CDN$. In any case I still do not seem to be able to change the currency of a security. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Thanks. Your reply seems to indicate that an account can be in a different currency, but not some securities an an account. My use case is that some securities in an account are USD and some are CDN$. In any case I still do not seem to be able to change the currency of a security. 

Frankly I'm no expert on multiple currency.  But I believe the follow is true.

Accounts can't have mixed currencies.
    And securities can't have the currency changed after they are used in any transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

This also appears to be correct; at least it is consistent with what I see when I test what happens. Thanks. 
  • Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

This is correct. I also have accounts in both $US and $C and the only solution seems to be creating 2 accounts in Q and showing the respective holdings in each. Cumbersome but so far the best option I know.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Thanks, I'm in the process of setting it up this way. Nice to know that it will work. My testing looks good so far. Do you have any hints to avoid problems?
  • Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

I have not had any issues. My account does not have downloading capability so all inputs are manual anyway. I wold love to see multiple currency features within an account in a future Q version but this is not relevant to most users so it may be a while. Just name each account clearly so you won't mix them up.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Thanks - I've done what you suggested and all is well. A bit of a nuisance but it will work for me. If it were up to me I would mark this problem as SOLVED. 
This discussion has been closed.