Unrealized Gain in Budget Report - QWin 2015

Options
was_a_guru
was_a_guru Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In generating a budget report there are two areas to check to include unrealized gains - 1. in Categories tab, 2. in the Advanced tab. If only one or the other (or none) are checked the reports are identical and do NOT show any line item indicating Unrealized Gains.

If BOTH are checked the (at least for my situation) INCOME total is larger than in the previous cases (I'm guessing by the amount of my unrealized gains), but there is no line item under INCOME delineating this. I have to add up the subtotals and subtract that from the INCOME amount to see what (presumably) unrealized gain total was. Why can't Quicken list this as a specific line item?

If I generate a Investment Income report and check both then I do see unrealized gains as a separate line item.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm curious, why would you want to include unrealized gains in your budget?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi Was_a_guru,

I'm sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

Budget reports default to displaying only those categories that appear in the budget used in the report. You can change that to "Include All" categories or to include "Non-Zero actual/budgeted" categories on the Advanced tab of the report Customize dialog.

[Unrealized gains normally appear in the category _UnrlzdGain]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• was_a_guru
    was_a_guru Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks for reaching out. I'm using Quicken15 on Win10. My issue is that if I have both _UnrlxdGain checked in the categories  tab and in the advanced tab the total $ shown in the INCOME line exceed the sum of the line items under it in each specific income category. That extra amount must be the unrealized gain. It probably should be a separate specific line item _UnrlzdGain under the top INCOME line containing that $ difference amount. No big deal though at this time. I was just playing around and this doesn't look right to me.

One other issue though - if I produce a _UnrlzdGain Report (not a budget report) some of the columns in it are not showing what they should. I have attached a marked up screen shoot for you.

Again not a big deal right now since I know the columns that are important to me (even though they are labeled incorrectly - Need Date, Account, Action, Security, Symbol really Price Change, Category, don't need Memo, need Quote/Price, would like Shares, Commission, Cash, Amount Invested. Have no idea what the $1.00 column is trying to indicate.

I have been a user for Quicken at least 1996 and despite all the flak you guys get I think it is a great program. A few minor issues along the way, but they get fixed and I have always had good service when I needed it.

So keep it up. Thanks

• was_a_guru
    was_a_guru Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

"I'm curious, why would you want to include unrealized gains in your budget?"

Curiosity mainly. I budget my fixed income (salary, interest, dividends, etc.). I budget my fixed and discretionary expenses.

Unrealized gains is basically the performance of my portfolio over any given time period. Now I can see that in my monthly statements and can always go online and see the current numbers at any given instant. I have a target for my portfolio performance and by being able to see that in a budget report it is a super quick way to see if my goals are being achieved. I understand it's not true income as it is unrealized and the bottom of the market could drop out tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.