Investments Performance Totsls

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I use Quicken to only keep up with my investments. When I click on Investment Performance, why do I have to use a calculator to determine dollar performance? There is plenty of room on the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly reports to add these totals. Please let the computer compute and provide these totals.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Investing tab, Performance view, Portfolio value vs. Cost basis

Hover the mouse pointer over one of the bars or dots in the chart and a mini-popup will show you the exact amount.

Depending on the number of bars shown on the page, also displaying Dollar Values might make for an awfully crowded looking chart.

Have you taken a look at what's hiding behind the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the chart? Select the "Go to a full screen view of this graph" for a different view. It also has popup values for each section of each bar shown.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    I get dollar values on the performance report, I.e., total at beginning of week and end of week, but not the difference, have to use calculator to get that...I don't see difference plus or minus of what you suggested either.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have no idea what "dollar performance" means nor am I clear what "reports" you are citing, so let's get back to the beginning.

Investment portfolio views (Ctrl-U) offer 18 views of your investments.  About 9 are preset, but all 18 can be customized as you see fit including selections from 109 different investments parameters (columns).  Customization can also include which specific accounts and/or securities to include in the view.  The As of date can be specified and, for some return calculation parameters, a starting date can be specified (Options, Portfolio preferences).  Data can be Grouped (subtotaled) by user selection.  Portfolio views offer the broadest and most user-defined views of investments.   

There are eight Gain/Loss parameters (4 as dollars, 4 as percentages) that may be what you are after as "dollar performance".  While line-itemed on a security level, they are totaled as well based on your customization and your chosen grouping.  Test enough such that you understand the data for the different periods and the effect of the starting date.  (Probably the straight Gain/Loss is what you are really after.)  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Report: Click on Investments tab, then Reports pull down Menu, then Investment Performance, the from Date Range pull down Menu select for example Monthly... You will see a column for investments dollars for the beginning of the month and also a column for returns which is the dollar amount for the end of the month. Example: Shows 300,000.00 for the beginning of the month and 320,00.00 for the end of the month...the report shows the percentage increase, but needs to show the +20,000.00 increase. A person should not have to use a calculator to determine the plus or loss dollars for the month.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Chuck, are you referring to the investing reports rather than the investing portfolio view?

If q.lurker's approach doesn't work for you, you might look at the Investing Activity report. For the selected period, account(s), and securities, this shows the beginning balance, a summary of the activities, the ending value, and net change.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Wow. Never have looked at that report. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Don't understand why the plus on loss dollar amount inst on the performance report but this will work. Thanks so much.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    The investing activity daily report is perfect but running it for the week is incorrect. The weekly report is not including dividends in the net change total. It does pick up the dividends earned when running it daily. Program needs to be fixed. I don't know if monthly or yearl picks them up or not.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Wow. Never have looked at that report. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Don't understand why the plus on loss dollar amount inst on the performance report but this will work. Thanks so much.

Don't understand why the plus or minus dollar amount isn't on the performance report ... . {Did I edit those typos correctly?}
    You stated earlier that said report includes "a column for returns which is the dollar amount for the end of the month."  I don't see that as an accurate depiction and i think it is a factor in you confusion.  (When Cash Flow Details are included) --> The 'Returns' column does include one line at the end for the Ending Market Value just as the 'Investments' column includes a Beginning Market Value.  But there is more in each column that both those entries.  Further the Average Annual Return presented is not a simple "percentage increase".  

Given all that, I don't believe it is highly pertinent to present the difference of the Ending and Beginning Market Values on that report.  Nor should it present a difference of the final totals for those two column.  The singular focus of that report is the Average Annual Return (aka internal rate of return, IRR).  Indeed one of the customize options for that report is to forego the Cash Flow Details.   
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Can you describe exactly how you set up the investing activity report for "weekly"?

I tried it for "Last week" with my data and beginning value + dividends + change in market value = ending value.  

Note you can double click on the values in the report to drill down to see the underlying calculations. In my case the dividends include both those received as cash and those reinvested.

Perhaps your issue has something to do with dividends received and then renvested a few days later?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I have all security types check. On all there is no place to check interest or dividends but they are included in the daily Net Changr in Value totals but not in the weekly and possibly monthly and yearly totals. Are you sure you had some stock dividends updated within the past week?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

I have all security types check. On all there is no place to check interest or dividends but they are included in the daily Net Changr in Value totals but not in the weekly and possibly monthly and yearly totals. Are you sure you had some stock dividends updated within the past week?

QW2017 R10 US
    I have yet to find any variation of the Investment Activity report for which the following did not hold:
    • Beginning Value + Net Deposits/Withdrawals + Net Investing Income + Chg in Mkt Value = Ending Value
    • Ending Value - Beginning Value = Net Change in Value
    • Net Deposits/Withdrawals + Net Investing Income + Chg in Mkt Value = Net Change in Value
    That applies for timing selections inclusive of Week-to-Date, Last Week, and custom dates of selected one week periods as well as others.

It would be helpful if you would snip a screenshot and post an example.
This discussion has been closed.