how do Linking Many Mutual Fund Holdings into One Portfolio

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I Am Using QMac 2017 v4.6.6 us Version I have Just Connected To both my Janus and American Century Accounts. I have Multiple Mutual Fund Holdings in Both Account. After connection to Both Accounts I get Individual Portfolios for each Mutual Fund Holding Instead of one Portfolio for all Mutual Fund for each of the two Accounts. How Can this be corrected???

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to see all holdings for a given fund (including the holdings in both of the accounts) in one place. Have I got that right?

If so, click the Investing heading in the sidebar. Then click the Portfolio button at the top left of the main screen section. Click the Portfolio Value button and choose Security.

You will now see all investments in all accounts grouped by security including the total shares, cost basis and market value of each. 

If you click the small disclosure triangle to the left of each security name, you can see the breakdown by account.

See the screenshot below for clarification:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Sorry I did not Make Myself Clear. I want See all Janus Funds in the janus account in the one Janus Portfolio view. I also have an American Century Account and I what to see all Holdings in that account in One American Century Portfolio View.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

Sorry I did not Make Myself Clear. I want See all Janus Funds in the janus account in the one Janus Portfolio view. I also have an American Century Account and I what to see all Holdings in that account in One American Century Portfolio View.

That's even easier. Just click the account (Janis or Amer Century) in the sidebar. Click the Portfolio button and there you have it.

Or if you're looking to see both accounts on one screen, then click Investing in the sidebar as above, but instead of clicking Security under Portfolio Value, click Group by Account instead.

Does that do it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

No don't Have a Janus or AmerCent in the Sidebar Instead I over 20 individual Mutual Funds. I need to Group all the Janus Funds into One Janus Portfolio View and I need to Group all AmerCent Funds into One AmerCent Portfolio View.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

How many different accounts do these funds reside in? An "account" is a brokerage or retirement account, set up in Quicken, and listed under the appropriate heading in the sidebar. Are all your various Janus and AmerCent funds contained in one account in Quicken (and one corresponding account at your brokerage)?

Also, do you download from your brokerage online in Quicken, or are you strictly manual?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

I have Two “Real World” accounts. One with Janus and the other with American Century. Both are “Mutual Fund Only“ Accounts. Both “Real World” Accounts Contain Multiple Mutual Funds Relating to Each Fund Family.

The “Real World” Janus Account Contains Janus Funds only.
    The “Real World” American Century Account Contains American Century Funds only.

When I Connected these “Real World”  Accounts I expected Quicken to Reflect the “Real World” i.e. Show Janus & American Century in the Accounts Side Bar and the Multiple Mutual Fund holdings of each Family show  on the respective Portfolio. 

But instead when I connected to Janus all my Janus Mutual Fund holdings appeared in the Accounts Sidebar. When I connected to American Century all my American Century Mutual Fund holdings Appeared in the Accounts Sidebar as well. 

I also have Brokerage accounts with Etrade and Schwab and they are connected as they should i.e. Etrade and and Schwab in Accounts Side Bar and Portfolio views for each which shows all the Stock and Mutual Fund Positions. 

I do all downloading online thru Quicken No Manual Intervention for any of the Quicken accounts.

• RickO
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

(Tom, sorry, long response coming. Please read all the way through.)

Ahah, so you are saying that each Janus fund became its own separate account on the Quicken sidebar. Same for AmerCent. As you say, that's not what one would expect. And not something I've heard of happening before. My previous responses were based on the assumption that you had a "normal" account setup.

I've come up with a workaround for you. Warning: it's very much a kludge. 

But first, I would attempt to get the accounts set up properly. That is, there should be a single Janus account in the sidebar which holds all of the Janus funds. Likewise for AmCent. You could certainly set this up manually. But it sounds like you want to be able to continue downloading. If you're okay with not downloading, then just delete all the individual accounts and set up the structure manually. Otherwise, keep reading....

I see that both Janus and AmCent only offer Direct Connect as the connection type. That's a good thing because D/C is the best type of connection. However, it means that changing the connection type isn't going to be the solution.

With Direct Connect, it is completely up to the financial institution (FI) how they transmit your information to Quicken. Janus and AmCent transmitted each fund as a separate account. When they do it this way, there is no way to force Quicken to group them or see them as a single account.

So, your only option for getting the Quicken setup to be "normal" (one account holding several funds for each FI) will be to contact Janus and AmCent and see if there's any way or option to change how the account/funds are transmitted. If Janus and AmCent can't fix this for you on their end, then keep reading for my kludgy workaround...

Here's a workaround.... We are going to set all the Janus funds to one Asset Class and all the AmCent funds to a different Asset Class. And we're going to make sure no other funds are using those two Asset Classes. The Asset Classes used for Janus and AmCent funds don't need to be correct or make any sense.

First, open the Securities window and sort by Asset Class by clicking that column header. Find the two Asset Classes from the list below that have the fewest securities assigned to that class:

Now double click each Janus fund and change the Asset Class to the first of these two least-used classes. Do this for each Janus fund. Then do the same for each AmCent fund using the 2nd asset class. Finally, change any other funds using either of these two classes to some other (any other) class.

When you're done, every Janus fund will be set to, for example, asset class Unclassified. And every AmCent fund will be set to, for example, asset class Cash. No other securities will be set to either of these asset classes.

Now back to the Investing group in the sidebar, Portfolio View. Click the Portfolio Value button and Group By Asset Class. All your Janus funds will now be grouped under "Unclassified" and all your AmCent funds will be grouped under "Cash" with appropriate subtotals. The Asset Class names are now meaningless; they're just being used as a means to group the funds. I suggested to use the two least-used asset classes just to reduce the workload of editing securities. If you prefer, you could choose the two classes based on sort order (Large/Small Cap Stocks first) so that the Janus and AmCent funds are at the top.

This does, of course, mess up any analysis you might have been doing based on real Asset Classes. But given that Quicken's investment reporting is so feeble (more on that later), it's probably not much of a loss. Alternatively, you could do the whole workaround using Type instead of Asset Class if that suits you better.

The options for reporting on investments in QM2017 are pretty basic. It's expected that QM2018 will have greatly improved reporting ability. We'll have to wait and see how much improvement in reporting for investments is included in that.

In the mean time, there are many threads here in the community with ideas for Quicken improvements that you can VOTE on. Here's an index of them:

EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On for Quicken for Mac | Quicken Customer Community

You'll want to pay particular attention to the Report Types and Investments groups. In particular, you may want to vote for these:

Add a Portfolio report

Financial analysis of investments

Add ability to customize the portfolio view

Let us know if you have any luck getting this fixed with Janus/AmCent, or if not, does the workaround give you what you're looking for.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

Tom, One more "real world" solution comes to mind. I don't know if it's practical in your situation, but you could consider transferring the Janus and AmCent funds out of those FI's and into separate accounts at E-Trade or Schwab (or Fidelity), who we know properly handles Direct Connect with Quicken. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

Thank you for your excellent analysis of my issue I really appreciate the time you have invested in helping me. I think we my be on different Versions of Quicken please Note the beginning of my tread.

I am unable to change the asset class. When I double click on any Janus fund a Profile window opens about the Funds Historical return, sector allocation, Growth chart Etc etc

• RickO
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

We are on the same version of Quicken. Do not double click the fund in the Portfolio view. You need to open the Securities window (menu Window > Securities). That's where you change the asset class. Here are some screenshots:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

I found another Way to Change the asset Class. Give me some Time to fully evaluate
    this excellent Suggestion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

Your last reply was spot on. Your asset class Filter answer my problem with my Janus funds. I spoke to American Century and They will be able to Transfer My Mutual funds account to a Brokerage Account This will resolve my quicken issue with them.
    I am New to this Board. How do Close this Problem
     Thank you for your very Prompt Help
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Tom M said:

Don't worry about closing the thread. The mods will do so if they see fit.

Glad to hear the AmCent can group your funds into one brokerage account. Too bad Janus can't do the same.
This discussion has been closed.