QMac: Adjust Cash Balance, Investment Accounts

quickish
quickish Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
How do I adjust the cash balance of Investment accounts? The cash balance in one of my investment accounts does not match the actaul cash balance. 

This investment account is downloaded to Quicken(ish) for Mac.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    If that happens to me, I just adjust the balance in Quicken to reflect the correct the cash balance in my account by making a payment or deposit.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    If your going to do a manual cash adjustment this can be done in the investment transaction register
  • quickish
    quickish Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Well, this is what I'm trying to understand. How do I add/subtract cash in an investment account?

Type: Payment/Deposit (I assumine I pick this type)
    Security/Payee: Not sure what to put here. Can it be left blank? Create a "Cash Payee?"
    Amount: Use a negative number to decrease the balance? 

Sorry to ask such simple questions, but I typically download all transactions. I've never had to try and fix something like the cash balance. 

Thanks. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    1.  Yes
    2. I leave it blank or put adjust
    3. You can customize the transaction by adding the cash out or cash in heading.  Use the dropdown menu to customise.  Cash out will decrease the balance.  Cash in will increase the balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    When you reconcile an account and the cash balance differs, you are offered an adjust balance under the gear to the right of the "Done" button.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    The Quicken cash balance in my Schwab IRA is off by over $10,000. This increase occurred in February. I have reconciled every transaction for 2018 and my portfolio is completely accurate. Aside from why this has happened in Quicken I don't see a way to fix- as stated above. Is my only option to go into Transactions, Add, choose Payment/Deposit for the Type and add a negative payment? This is ridiculous. I'm using QMac 2017, latest version.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Catherine said:

The Quicken cash balance in my Schwab IRA is off by over $10,000. This increase occurred in February. I have reconciled every transaction for 2018 and my portfolio is completely accurate. Aside from why this has happened in Quicken I don't see a way to fix- as stated above. Is my only option to go into Transactions, Add, choose Payment/Deposit for the Type and add a negative payment? This is ridiculous. I'm using QMac 2017, latest version.

Hi Catherine, appreciate your question.

If you have already done the leg work, you can definitely do this.

Please let us know if this worked.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • ac67
    ac67 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Catherine said:

Hi, Catherine, I have a similar issue in my IRA account in Quicken for Windows 2018. It happened about the same time as yours. Periodically the downloads from this broker won't work correctly, and I'd assumed the discrepancy was due either to that or to the transition to 2018 software.

When I used the "adjust balance" button, Quicken reduced the value of the holdings by an equivalent amount and "adjusted the balance to "$-0.11" and not to "$0.00. It appears that this "adjustment" only reallocates the cash over to the securities. Now the cash values of the securities are wrong, and so is the cash balance. It appears that I am going to have to manually enter a correction to each of the securities in this portfolio. After the experience I've just described, I'm afraid to try. At that point, I'll still be stuck with an inaccurate cash balance that I will have to fix with a fraudulent entry as you've noted above, using software that produces unpredictable results when, for instance, subtracting $10,283.36 from $10,283.36.

I've thought of closing the account in Quicken and opening a new one. I shouldn't have to do that.  
This discussion has been closed.