scheduling dividend transactions

Tom Bonner
Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Looking at the bills and income section of QM2018, I realized that it would be very useful to see anticipated investment income such as dividends and bond interest so I went to a brokerage account, which is maintained manually not by download, and tried to set up a scheduled transaction but it looks Schedule Selected Transaction is not available and creating a scheduled transaction only allows a payment/deposit transaction. Is there a way to do it? And if not, why?

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    I am not yet on QM18 but I suspect that scheduling transactions is not set up to handle investment type issues. As to why  this is the case, while I am not a spokesman for Quicken one can easily determine that there are so many issues with the investment module that need serious attention..So your request is probably way down the list , You may want to sit it up as an Idea thread & hopefully folks will vote it up
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    I don't know why you can't, but I can only guess that because dividend payouts typically vary each time they are paid, they are not considered a good candidate to schedule.

I suppose you could set up a scheduled deposit transaction and then when you mark as deposited, you could edit it into a DIV transaction. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    From the related conversations side bar https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/scheduled-transaction-for-dividends-not-advancin..., seems to indicate that scheduled dividends has been available for a number of years presumably in Windows.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017

From the related conversations side bar https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/scheduled-transaction-for-dividends-not-advancin..., seems to indicate that scheduled dividends has been available for a number of years presumably in Windows.

Yup, that's Windows, not Mac.
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

I don't know why you can't, but I can only guess that because dividend payouts typically vary each time they are paid, they are not considered a good candidate to schedule.

I suppose you could set up a scheduled deposit transaction and then when you mark as deposited, you could edit it into a DIV transaction. 

Mutual fund dividends that are paid annually or quarterly are possibly different every time because of portfolio changes but individual stocks typically pay dividends quarterly and usually  change only once a year. Interest payments from individual bonds are fixed at the time the bonds are issued and do not change. For people whose income from investments is considerable, think retirees, having that anticipated income appear in Bills & Income would be quite useful.

I'll see if your suggested workaround works but ideally one could select a dividend or interest income transaction in an investment account and use Schedule Selected Transaction
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

I agree if that's the reason it's not implemented, it's a weak reason. People don't have to use it they don't want. You may want to follow Concordman's suggestion and post and IDEA thread on this.
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

Workaround seems to work although scheduled transaction does not recognize individual securities as payees so either have to create new payees exactly matching securities list or edit security name after marking as paid and editing deposit to dividend. Seems easier to create a generic dividend income payee and include security name in memo/note and then choose security name in the editing step. It does show up in projected cash balance in transactions view but does not show up as projected income in Bills & Income.
This discussion has been closed.