QWin 2017 Premier: Can the average cost per share be updated manually?

ConnieB
ConnieB Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I'm using Quicken 2017 Premier.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Let's go back a step.  Why would you want to change this calculated figure ... which is based upon all of your actual purchases?

And the answer to your question, as posed, is NO.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Maybe the person's avg price per share in Quicken doesn't match the avg price per share reported by the mutual fund company. I'll tell you from experience, it happens.
    Which one is correct? The mutual fund company's numbers are the numbers that go to the IRS.
  • ConnieB
    ConnieB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    fanfare said:

Maybe the person's avg price per share in Quicken doesn't match the avg price per share reported by the mutual fund company. I'll tell you from experience, it happens.
    Which one is correct? The mutual fund company's numbers are the numbers that go to the IRS.

I've been using Quicken Premier for my portfolios since 2005.  My problem involves only individual stocks, not mutual funds.  I don't know why I don't have all of the transactions.  I have two separate Quicken files, one for my personal stuff and the second for my family's investment club.  The cost per share problem occurs only with the investment club's file.  I normally enter all transactions manually.  I download them only occasionally.  I always reconcile everything to TD Ameritrade's numbers..  At one time I did have avg cost per share on this file.  I noticed the problem for the first time with Quicken Premier 2017 last week, but don't know how it happened.

I'll check my backups to see when avg cost last appeared and then see if I can recover from there. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    fanfare said:

"Average Cost per share" isn't, for Stocks, a valid means of reporting Capital Gains/Losses.

That treatment is only available for mutual funds.

See the IRS Pub 17 for further info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ConnieB
    ConnieB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    fanfare said:

I've used Quicken for a long time.  It had always included "average cost per share" for both individual stocks and mutual funds in the "INVESTING" window.  In my Quicken file, it simply stopped doing that for some of my stocks recently.

I'm giving up on this.  I can get what I need from the broker's website.image
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    fanfare said:

From C. D. Bales:

"I've used Quicken for a long time. It had always included "average cost per share" for both individual stocks and mutual funds in the "INVESTING" window. In my Quicken file, it simply stopped doing that for some of my stocks recently".

I don't see the problem in my QW2017 RPM R15.1.

The only securities that do not show an Average Cost Per Share in my Portfolio View are securities that have zero shares (Watch List only securities, for example).

I even have Average Cost Per Share for non-securities (dummy securities I create for test purposes) - as long as I own some shares in that specific Quicken file.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ConnieB
    ConnieB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    fanfare said:

@mshiggins, Thank you for confirming that avg cost should be listed. 

I'll keep looking for the problem with my files. I may have caused it with something I did, but I have no idea what it could be.  In the meantime I'm getting the info from the brokers' websites. 

Again, THANKS!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    fanfare said:

@ConnieB:  You still have not clearly indicated the problem.  You are seeing the Average Cost per Share header for an Investments Portfolio View showing 'Quotes', a showing that you have previously customized to include that and other columns.  Below that header are you seeing "wrong" values, blanks, zeroes, or something else.

Secondly you have also alluded to missing transactions.  "I don't know why I don't have all of the transactions."

Do you know that transactions are missing or is that a guess of some kind?   
  • ConnieB
    ConnieB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    fanfare said:

@q.lurker:  The avg cost per share was all asterisks.  Thankfully, I found the cause of the problem yesterday.  I had "placeholder entries" in transactions that I never downloaded.  I downloaded them and was able to enter the average cost per share. Everything is up-to-date now.  Thank YOU for your help! 
This discussion has been closed.