QMac 2018: Moving IRA From Manual Brokerage To Online Downloadable IRA Account - Dupe Transactions ?

Paul Schwartz
Paul Schwartz Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I recently upgraded from Quicken Mac 2007 Mac to Quicken Mac 2018  . . .

Under 2007, my IRAs were set up as a mutual fund for each type of investment (e.g., for a single IRA, I had 5 different mutual accounts set up for my 5 different investments within my IRA).  I manually updated and reconciled the accounts every quarter.   When I converted to 2018, each of the IRA investments (5 mutual funds) became brokerage type accounts.

Now being on Quicken Mac 2008, I want to take advantage of online updates and downloads for my IRA.

I recently created a new IRA type account for my IRA and connected to Vanguard.  After the download, my new IRA had all five of my mutual funds established under it and the transactions downloaded went back to May 2016.

My original IRA setup as individual mutual funds has history covering transactions from 1/1/2010 through 9/30/17.  The same IRA now set up as a IRA account type has transactions covering 5/31/16 through 9/30/17.   

My problem is the transactions from 5/31/16 through 9/30/17 are now recorded (duplicated) in two different accounts, the old IRA mutual fund account and the new IRA account set up.  This is resulting in my Net Worth being overstated

I realize I can hide the old IRA mutual fund accounts and also prevent them from being included in any reports to prevent the duplication of worth, but I also don't want to exclude the old IRA mutual funds if I do any type of historical reporting . . . 

What is the recommended approach for handling this situation?  It would have been great if I could have specified the time period (9/30/17 forward) when I created the new IRA and downloaded the transactions from Vanguard, but I don't remember seeing the ability to specify a time period.  It just arbitrarily went back all the way back to May 2016.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    I think I would just delete the overlapping transactions in either new account or the old ones, your choice.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Paul Schwartz
    Paul Schwartz Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I loose share count in share balance if I delete transactions from the new IRA account . . . and I still have a dupe share balance if I delete transactions from the old IRA accounts.
  • Paul Schwartz
    Paul Schwartz Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Well, here's what I did . . hopefully it was right.

For each original IRA Mutual Fund Account . . . . processed a Remove Share transaction for all shares effective 9/30/17.

For the new IRA Account, deleted all transactions prior to 9/30/17, then processed an Add Share transaction for the balance as of 9/30/17.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Well, here's what I did . . hopefully it was right.

For each original IRA Mutual Fund Account . . . . processed a Remove Share transaction for all shares effective 9/30/17.

For the new IRA Account, deleted all transactions prior to 9/30/17, then processed an Add Share transaction for the balance as of 9/30/17.

Yes. Then if your share balances are correct, you're all set.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.