No data transferred to my new MacBook

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, running the latest OS. All my Quicken 2016 data from my old MacBook Pro were saved on an external SSD and loaded into the new computer. None of the 5 years worth of Quicken data seems to have transferred to the new computer. I’m assuming the missing Quicken data file is hidden somewhere in the computer or on the external SSD but I don’t know where. Any ideas?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Your data file is (by default) hidden away in your user Library account. Since the MacOS has hidden that folder since the 10.7 days, you might not have copied it.

I included a screenshot of the path-obviously your computer name and user account will be different, but you should be able to figure out the location. (The Mac App Store is in a similar, but slightly different "Containers" folder if you use that version.

It shouldn't be that hard to navigate to the location on your old machine. (I hope you still have it!) From the desktop, you can hold down option while clicking on the Go menu and this will temporarily unhide the Library so you can navigate to the location.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Hi John, 
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the logic board on my old MacBook (running the latest High Sierra OS) died. But I  had previously installed an SSD on it, so they took that out and put it in a case. So everything from that machine is now on the (external) SSD.  But I can't seem to locate the relevant files on it.
    Merrill
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Hi John, 
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the logic board on my old MacBook (running the latest High Sierra OS) died. But I  had previously installed an SSD on it, so they took that out and put it in a case. So everything from that machine is now on the (external) SSD.  But I can't seem to locate the relevant files on it.
    Merrill

As noted above, the default location is hidden away. It isn't in a place like your Documents folder where you would expect it. 

If you have your working older SSD in an enclosure, you should still be able to locate it. Or, you can try to search that drive for .quicken2016

I haven't put a startup drive in an external disk since they started hiding the library, so it might be keeping the hidden attribute. Thus, you can't see the folder to open it. You can show hidden files, but if you are uncomfortable doing that, you might wish to print out this discussion and take it to the place that serviced your Mac. It should be a simple affair for them to locate the file if hidden and put it in the correct location on your new machine. Or, if you moved the file, they can search the external to locate the file using the extension I listed above.

Good luck!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    At your suggestion of searching for .quicken2016, I finally located it, interestingly, in the Documents folder of the external SSD. 
    Thanks for your help!
    Merrill
This discussion has been closed.