Issues with 2016 CANADIAN Quicken conversion of Currency

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am on CANADIAN 2016 version of quicken and I am having issues with the currency conversion update. I have been in touch with the real person support a few times. They suggested to buy a newer computer and update my Quicken to 2016, which I did. I go in and update the currency and it will not update the past currency and those dates are blank. I was told they need to Manually update and that is not acceptable. The support told me to go to the community and put this issue out to them. This is been going on for over a year. Could you please help me with this painful issue because it affects my stocks been traded.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I forgot to say I have a Microsoft product
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I haven't used the Q-CAD version in some time, but there was historical forex that was collected in an One Step Update. And eventually I recall that the historical data was truncated into weekly only dates, with the most recent dates presenting in the file.

For analysis and troubleshooting purposes, can you show/screen shot the historical forex prices window to see what it has collected currently? I want to understand what data it is holding.

For the US version there is only one fixed forex price at all times, so in order to see changes in portfolio as a result of forex movements, you need to manually price for a snapshot of that day. Obviously it is painful, and would be a nice to have historical forex prices to give an accurate picture of the portfolio value (and subsequent change daily). I monitor the forex prices outside of Q, but that would be a task better served by new Q functionality.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Okay, so after some detailed discussion with another SU Artic Hare, try this function to import your historical forex prices. Tools/Currency List to get to the function to update. Also attempt a manual update of the historical prices and check behavior of that and report back.

Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you Super User but I tried your suggestion and it is not bringing in the past currency prices. It will bring in todays price at this moment. If I wait until tomorrow and try to update the currency prices it will NOT change yesterdays price but will input that new day currency. I am wondering it is because I am on the Canadian Version.  Thank you for responding to my question
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    cberto said:

Thank you Super User but I tried your suggestion and it is not bringing in the past currency prices. It will bring in todays price at this moment. If I wait until tomorrow and try to update the currency prices it will NOT change yesterdays price but will input that new day currency. I am wondering it is because I am on the Canadian Version.  Thank you for responding to my question

Quicken only download the current exchange rates.  It doesn't download historical ones.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    cberto said:

It should store historical for Quicken Canadian version.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    cberto said:

Is Multicurrency enabled? What Quicken Canada version is this? Deluxe? Premier? Have you attempted to manually add a currency price history?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    cberto said:

It should store historical for Quicken Canadian version.
    It does. It just doesn't "fetch" them.

Basically I think the problem is that Quicken Inc only pays for the "today rates".

If you look at the US version, it doesn't even store the historical exchange rates.
    The only rate you can see is the "current one".

So basically the Canadian version is using that same service, and they never saw a big enough need to pay for getting historical rates.

The Canadian version does store the rates, but only if you have updated on each day that you want rates for.

Note also that Multiple Currency support is always on for the Canadian version.  What they clearly did is just enable that and set the home currency to CAD for the Canadian version.  BTW in the Canadian version you can't change the home currency like you can in the US version.

Also I'm not even really sure of the value of the fact that the Canadian version is storing the currency exchange rates, because it doesn't use it in any reports.

For instance if you bring up a net worth report it does the same thing as the US version and uses the current exchange rate for all conversions in that report.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    cberto said:

Also there are only two versions of Quicken Canadian.
    Cash Manager and Home & Business.

Cash Manager is like Quicken US Deluxe minus investment accounts.
    Home & Business is basically like the US version without some of the features that are more "US" like it doesn't have MorningStar X-Ray portfolio.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    cberto said:

I find great value in storage of the forex. The historical fetch screen shot above should work. This is not a comparison to US version function.

@cberto Keep attempting to move forward and to manual add and access the history.

Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    cberto said:

Note that part (manual updating) works the same in the Canadian version.  It is just that it can't be done automatically.
This discussion has been closed.