Securities Comparison Mismatch (renamed security)

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have a security (mutual fund) that appears it may have been renamed by the institution but the stock symbol is the same.  Every time I update Quicken says I have a mismatch and wants to swap all my current shares for the new shares.  But it is the same stock symbol in both the online broker and Quicken so I am not sure why Quicken is not matching these as the same investment.

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Couple of things I will assume first:

1. There was no change in number of shares/share swap/merger of funds as part of this action.
    2. This is a name change only.
    3. You have processed a Corporate Action/Name Change transaction.

If all of those above hold, then I suggest going into the Security Details and Edit Security Details and Uncheck "Matched with online security". Click OK. Close Quicken. Reopen Quicken and complete a One Step Update. Then go to that account and it should ask you match the security to your holdings, and then should remember after that.

As always, back up your file before trying any solutions you are recommended in the QC.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    jr7107 said:

1. There was no change in number of shares/share swap/merger of funds as part of this action.

If all of those above hold, then I suggest going into the Security Details and Edit Security Details and Uncheck "Matched with online security". Click OK. Close Quicken. Reopen Quicken and complete a One Step Update. Then go to that account and it should ask you match the security to your holdings, and then should remember after that.

As always, back up your file before trying any solutions you are recommended in the QC.

I had not done step three ( was not aware of it) and it seems it may have done the trick.  I have new entries on that item in a few days (it is a fund in my 401K) so I will see if it correctly matches when the new entries are downloaded.  If not I will go onto the uncheck Matched with Online Security step. 

Thank you very helpful!
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    jr7107 said:

No problem. Just report back if it is successful. If not can dig deeper.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    jr7107 said:

Well sorry it took so long to get back.  I have to wait for new transactions before I can try anything and I have been away on some travel.  Looking it over again today and I see the reason I still have an issue is when I did the Corp Action/Name Change... I spelled it wrong!!!!!!!!!!  But seems I cannot do another name change because the name already exists in my securities.  Thoughts?
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    jr7107 said:

Uncheck the “match to online security “ in the Security details and on your next download select the improperly named security to match. Then edit the improperly named security to match.

Almost there, let us know.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    jr7107 said:

Ok.  That box is already unchecked (and grayed out so I cannot alter it) from the initial efforts.  There will be transactions in that account tomorrow so let me see if I can match them up as you suggest at that time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

I guess I do not understand.  The box is unchecked.  I downloaded the new transactions and the mismatched securities dialogue box came up showing x number of shares of this in quicken and x number of shares reported by brokerage but there was no option there that I saw other than to click done.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

Will try to get to the issue. Do the share totals match between Quicken and broker?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

If the answer is yes, then I’m guessing there are two securities in Q and one is matched to online. Can you check that?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

Yes.  Meaning the new transaction is matched online and the number of shares in the mismatched name shares + the new transaction does equal the total number of shares in Fidelity.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

Just a min gather screen shot
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

This is what downloads from Fidelity into Quicken (second number is share count)image

Also these shares downloaded as symbol FUSEX that may be what the symbol was prior to 2012 when the name change was done.

This is what I have in Quicken now with typo:image

These shares have the proper FUSVX Symbol

Fidelity does not show me the share count but the dollar figure for the two above added together is nearly identical (1 cent off):image

Interestingly they show a different name in Fidelity and when I folloed your first instructions to do the name change it did match to this name but my next download still did not match new shares to what was existing.

I am baffled.  Seriously considered selling the investment just to fix my Quicken!  LOL
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

Backup your file. Make sure all the transactions are in the security you want to match to online. Delete the ticker. Don’t delete the price history. Change the name in Q via edit security. Add the new ticker. Close Quicken. Reopen and download from Fidelity. See if that works. Next transaction should prompt a match to online security dialogue from Q.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

If anything goes wrong revert to backup and will try another.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

I will try this later have to run for now.  Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

Ok I think we are closer now.  I have a backup from today I have stocked away.  I also found that I did indeed have two securities in Quicken with same/similar names that was preventing my rename procedure earlier.  They appear to be older transactions prior to the name change.

I renamed it without the "Index" and removed its ticker.  I added the ticket to the current one.  I have no new transactions to download so I am not sure yet if they will match up as they should.  The top stock in this image is the one that should match now.image
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

Delete the "unused" security from Q to prevent any further discrepancy. If there are any transactions in the legacy security they are going to need to be moved before Q allows a deletion from the list. Next download should force the "Match to Online" dialogue.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jr7107 said:

Ok that sorted it.  We are good to go now.  Thank you much for your assist.  20 years of using Quicken and always so much more to learn!
This discussion has been closed.