Remove shares not being recognized in Net Worth report

Options
John L1
John L1 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I noticed that my Net Worth Over Time report was not matching my Account Summary.  I tracked it down to a particular investment account and then (using the portfolio view in the account to go back in time) I narrowed it down to a particular month 3 years ago.  In that month, one of the companies I held was purchased so I removed the shares of the old company and replaced them with an Add Shares in the new company (with the proper cost basis).  However, the value of the shares of the old company are still being counted in Net Worth report (incorrectly).  I'm using the latest version of Quicken (2018) on Mac.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or enter the transactions a different way that will work?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have a similar problem.  Shares were sold in my IRA last month.  The market value of the account does not match the Schwab market value total.  Cash was transferred to the cash account but it appears that the cash value is still in the market value total.  All the shares of two mutual funds were sold and are not listed now listed in the portfolio view.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Bob Mohr said:

I have a similar problem.  Shares were sold in my IRA last month.  The market value of the account does not match the Schwab market value total.  Cash was transferred to the cash account but it appears that the cash value is still in the market value total.  All the shares of two mutual funds were sold and are not listed now listed in the portfolio view.

Bob, your problem sounds slightly different than John's. I ask that you start your own thread (click New Post above) on this so that any inquiries and answers don't get intertwined and confused.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options
    John, Just want to clarify some things...

First question: what is the Date Range you have set for the NWOT report?

Then, In the sidebar, click the three dot (...) icon and make sure it's set to "Show Today's Balance". Then, when you compare the value of the account in the sidebar to the value of that same account in the NWOT report for this month, are you saying that the amounts are not the same, or close to the same. And that the difference corresponds to the value of the removed shares?

Next question would be... when you look at the the Portfolio view for the account, Group by Security, does this security appear in the list with a positive market value, a market value that should be zero? If so, what does it say for the number of shares?

Next, have in the Transactions View for the account, enter the name of the security in the search box (top right) so you are viewing all transactions for just this security. You might want to turn on the Shares and Share Balance columns. In reviewing the transactions in date order, do you see anything that doesn't look right?
  • John L1
    John L1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Rick - thanks for the questions/suggestions.  To answer some of them:

Date range for NWOT report was initially set to last 12 months which was what it was when I noticed the problem.  I set it to a custom date range (going back further and further in time) until I found a point (month) where it matched the account balances.  I further refined the NWOT report to only focus on the account with the problem so it would be easier to track down which was how I isolated when the problem occurred and found the Remove Shares transaction that exactly matched the delta in the values.

"Show Today's Balance" is definitely checked and yes, the amount in TODAY's balance in the sidebar does not match the account balance for one of my investment accounts listed in the NWOT report.

Your last suggestion, however, was GREAT!  When I view all of that security's transactions with the Share Balance turned on, I see the proper buying of the security to begin with and then the Share Balance going to 0 when I remove the shares.  HOWEVER - there is a Return of Capital transaction right after the Remove Shares  (though they are on the same day) and for some reason the share balance goes back up to 750 (the number of shares originally purchased).  I moved the Remove Shares transaction to one day later (not exactly right, but close enough given this was 3 years ago) and now the Share Balance properly ends at 0 AND my NWOT report is correct.

Thanks for the AWESOME investigative suggestions.  Seems like a bug since I don't know why a Return of Capital would cause the share balance to jump back up and further not be reported as part of the Portfolio or Account Balance to what it was previously, but at least there is an easy work around!!

Best, John
  • John L1
    John L1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Just one more comment on this - I found another minor issue and this time it was an Add Shares transaction that happened on the same day as a stock split.  Basically the Stock Split was a 1.5:1 split and so the company had to give me and extra 0.5 shares to make things whole numbers.  The Add Shares transaction accomplished this.  However, since they were on the same day and Quicken happened to put the Add Shares first, the extra 0.5 got split 1.5:1 and so I ended up with an erroneous 0.25 shares BUT ONLY IN THE NWOT REPORT.  The portfolio and my account balance was fine.  Bizarre that the NWOT report is calculated so differently than account balances.  Seems like they need to clean up the code.

Lesson in all this - watch out for the order of execution of things happening on the same day.  VERY TRICKY TO GET THIS RIGHT.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options
    John L said:

Just one more comment on this - I found another minor issue and this time it was an Add Shares transaction that happened on the same day as a stock split.  Basically the Stock Split was a 1.5:1 split and so the company had to give me and extra 0.5 shares to make things whole numbers.  The Add Shares transaction accomplished this.  However, since they were on the same day and Quicken happened to put the Add Shares first, the extra 0.5 got split 1.5:1 and so I ended up with an erroneous 0.25 shares BUT ONLY IN THE NWOT REPORT.  The portfolio and my account balance was fine.  Bizarre that the NWOT report is calculated so differently than account balances.  Seems like they need to clean up the code.

Lesson in all this - watch out for the order of execution of things happening on the same day.  VERY TRICKY TO GET THIS RIGHT.

You might want to report this either by contacting Quicken Support or using menu Help > Report a Problem, so that they are aware of it. The developers will not likely see the writeup on this here.
This discussion has been closed.