Improper number of shares showing

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Premier 2018 Version 5.3.2
Certain investment transactions are entered completely but the share balance is not accurately reflected.  Any thoughts on how to update the holdings?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    I would suggest you do this:

Select the account (or account group) in the sidebar that contains all the transactions for the security.

Click on the Transactions view

Show the Shares In, Shares Out and Share Balance columns.

Enter the name of the security in the search box (top right).

You will then be able to see the evolution of the share balance per transaction and hopefully pinpoint where things go awry. 

==========

One other possibility... if the account is connected online to the brokerage, you could have an erroneous Placeholder transaction in the account. Placeholders are created automatically to try to make the share balance match what is downloaded from the brokerage, but sometimes they can get wonky. They are shown in the register in light gray and have the word "placeholder" in the memo. They "live" at the beginning of the register, date wise. 

If there is a placeholder for this security, try deleting it and see if the share balance is correct. If so, you are good to go. Make a backup before making changes in case you need to revert.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    In one case, I know exactly where it went awry.  It simply doesn't add the last transaction.  The transaction is entered properly, but the shares don't factor in the total.  It happens on a number of other accounts, but the one I used as an example was the most obvious and glaring.
  • RickO
    edited April 2018

In one case, I know exactly where it went awry.  It simply doesn't add the last transaction.  The transaction is entered properly, but the shares don't factor in the total.  It happens on a number of other accounts, but the one I used as an example was the most obvious and glaring.

What happens if you delete and re-create that transaction?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Unfortunately the same thing.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017

What does the share balance column show on that last transaction itself? What about the Shares In column? Does it show something in Shares In, but the Share Balance column doesn't change? Can you post a screenshot of the last couple/few transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

I followed your original instructions with more attention to the detail.  It seems as though the share balance had gotten out of whack along the way.  Must have incorrectly pulled some transaction when I converted from the Windows version.  Because it was qualified money, I simply added the shares back in to avoid having to search for the offending transactions.

Thank you for your help.  I should have looked more closely from the beginning!
  • andyf0
    andyf0 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Version 5.4.3

I have the same problem. The placeholder amount is showing an incorrect number of shares added which causes the total number of shares to be incorrect.

This is one fund of a few that are affected. I chose it because there's only a couple of transactions on it.

12/20/17 Reinvest Dividend Dodge & Cox 4.593 shares @ 45.765295
    10/23/17 Sell Dodge & Cox 4.481 shares @ 46.880161
    10/12/17 Add Shares Dodge & Cox +240.244 shares (to reach 240.244 on 12/21/17) - Placeholder

The "to reach 240.244"  on 12/21 is the correct total number of shares currently, but if you subtract the "Sell" and add the "Reinvest" you get 240.356 which is shown as the total in the portfolio view. This causes the total account value to be incorrect.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    andyf0 said:

Version 5.4.3

I have the same problem. The placeholder amount is showing an incorrect number of shares added which causes the total number of shares to be incorrect.

This is one fund of a few that are affected. I chose it because there's only a couple of transactions on it.

10/12/17 Add Shares Dodge & Cox +240.244 shares (to reach 240.244 on 12/21/17) - Placeholder

The "to reach 240.244"  on 12/21 is the correct total number of shares currently, but if you subtract the "Sell" and add the "Reinvest" you get 240.356 which is shown as the total in the portfolio view. This causes the total account value to be incorrect.

I'm not exactly following the math here, but it may be solved by simply deleting the placeholder. Backup first.
  • andyf0
    andyf0 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    andyf0 said:

Version 5.4.3

Deleting the placeholder and re-connecting just left me with .112 shares.

Here's the math.

As of today my brokerage reports total shares of 240.244 so the placeholder was adjusted to reflect this amount.

But there was a sell of 4.481 shares and then a Reinvest Dividend of 4.593 shares.

So (240.244 - 4.481 + 4.593) = 240.356 shares. This is what my total shares shows in Portfolio View. However, this is wrong, the true share total is 240.244 which leads me to believe the placeholder has been adjusted incorrectly to try and match todays balance.

I believe that the amount of shares added in the placeholder along with all the transactions to date should match my total shares today. Somehow QC doesn't seem to do the math correctly.

I have a few funds that are doing the same thing, but this has only been in the last few versions, it's been working fine for me since QC2015. It is only failing on funds that have downloaded transactions since the last few versions. Funds that are untouched are correct.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    andyf0 said:

Version 5.4.3

If you are just trying to make today's share balance correct, you could do so by deleting the placeholder, and then essentially make your own placeholder with an Add/Remove shares transaction.

If you are trying to make the whole history correct, then you'd need to go back to the beginning and compare the transaction history you have in Quicken vs what the brokerage says and see where they diverge.
  • andyf0
    andyf0 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    andyf0 said:

Version 5.4.3

Ah! I deleted the automatic placeholder and created my own placeholder manually. This worked and theoretically should continue to work. I don't understand why the automatic placeholder "floats" depending on the current balance assuming the downloads are accurate.
  • andyf0
    andyf0 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    andyf0 said:

Version 5.4.3

Thanks! I'll have to keep monitoring and adjusting as needed.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    andyf0 said:

Version 5.4.3

Placeholders get messed up sometimes. It just happens. Might be bad info coming in from the brokerage. Glad you got it fixed.
This discussion has been closed.