How best to manage multiple single mutual fund accounts as one account?

jtk.google
jtk.google Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
How best to handle multiple single mutual fund accounts as one account?

I formerly used Quicken for Windows 2015.  I'm trying out Q Mac 2018 to see if it will be good enough.

In QW2015 I had multiple American Funds accounts set up for download.  Their account access is so lame it only supports single mutual funds, so I have to set up one quicken account for each fund.  I set those funds into the "don't include in net worth" category.

I then copied and pasted downloaded transactions from each such account into another account, which was included.  Thus I had an account showing the combined account balance.

Now, enter QM 2018.  I cannot find a way to copy transactions from one account to another.  So I don't have a way to put transactions into the combined account.  Also I see no way to aggregate multiple accounts into one virtual account for viewing purposes.

I'm not interested in a report that shows the combined account details...I want an actual account with the details.

What do you suggest as a method for tracking the combined value of these accounts and showing the portfolio of the account (several mutual funds)?

Is there a way to copy transactions between accounts that I just haven't found yet?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    You can not copy transactions from an investment account in Quicken Mac. Banking and credit card accounts...yes. Investment accounts...no.
  • jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

You can not copy transactions from an investment account in Quicken Mac. Banking and credit card accounts...yes. Investment accounts...no.

OK, so then do you (or anyone) have suggestions for another way to meet my goal with Quicken Mac?  Unifying the view of multiple single-mutual-fund accounts into a single account?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

Go to the account register , highlight the transactions you want to move then drag them into the designated account on the sidebar
  • jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

I tried this, doesn't work for investment transactions :-(  The cursor keeps the "do not enter" sign on any account I try to use as the target in the sidebar.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

jtk.google

Unfortunately, you may be stuck with multiple accounts for your situation. QMac simply has no means of moving investment transactions from one account to another - short of simply manually re-entering.

Based on other discussions in this forum - there are a few FI's who present investment data to Quicken in the fashion you describe. As I recall, a few users have reported success in contacting the FI and getting the FI to re-arrange things at their end. Do not recall the specific FI(s) involved here. This is slim possibility - but might be worth a call to check and see.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Yah, I remember asking American Funds years ago to fix their ancient system, with no progress in the interim.

Well, I still have my windows VM so I'll go back to Quicken 2018 for Windows, which does let me copy transactions between investment accounts, and also lets me put some accounts into a separate status that are not included in net worth/summaries.
This discussion has been closed.